POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : TrueType "char not found" errors in POV-Ray 3.x Server Time
2 Jun 2024 11:07:58 EDT (-0400)
  TrueType "char not found" errors in POV-Ray 3.x (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Lummox JR
Subject: TrueType "char not found" errors in POV-Ray 3.x
Date: 3 Feb 1999 14:08:58
Message: <36B89F16.28EE@aol.com>
Using Windows 95, POV-Ray version 3.0 as well as 3.1, I get error
messages when trying to use a particular TrueType font:

"Character XX not found" (XX being the ASCII number of the character)
All the characters in each line of text are defined in this font, and no
other programs have trouble using the font except for POV-Ray. They are
not high-ASCII characters; most of them are uppercase or lowercase
letters.
Now here's the stinger: This font is homemade. It was made with a tool
called Softy, which doesn't allow some additional data (offset/size for
superscripts, subscripts, etc., etc.) to be defined. Other fonts that
*do* work have additional table entries that I suspect are expected by
POV-Ray to be there.

The irony of this bug is that if a character is not found, a capital A
from the font is shown in its place. ("A" is the third glyph in the
font.) However, if "A" is included in the text, I am told "Character 65
(0x41) not found in font ....", despite the fact that it still displays
just fine. Obviously POV-Ray is having no trouble reading the glyph
table, but it can't read the character map for anything; not in this
font, anyway.

I can provide a copy of the font in question upon request.

Additional (but irrelevant) information about my system: I am running a
Pentium 166 (why yes, it *is* slow) with 32MB of RAM. (The font file is
under 10K in size, so memory is not a concern.) There are several
gigabytes of free hard disk space.

My guess about this bug is that POV-Ray is looking for a part of the
font file that doesn't need to exist in order to have a working font.
(However, if anyone can tell me what's still missing, and what I can do
to add that information to the font, I'd be most grateful.) It should be
able to check the character map without trouble, but something is
throwing it off.
It should be noted again that this font file works perfectly in all
other applications; only in POV-Ray have I had a problem with it.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that can be offered regarding
this bug.

Lummox JR

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:10:14 -0500, Lummox JR <Lum### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>Using Windows 95, POV-Ray version 3.0 as well as 3.1, I get error
>messages when trying to use a particular TrueType font:
>
>"Character XX not found" (XX being the ASCII number of the character)
>All the characters in each line of text are defined in this font, and no
>other programs have trouble using the font except for POV-Ray. They are
>not high-ASCII characters; most of them are uppercase or lowercase
>letters.
>I can provide a copy of the font in question upon request.

If you can email it to me at par### [at] my-dejanewscom, I'll take a
look at it and see why POV doesn't like it.

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:10:14 -0500, Lummox JR <Lum### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>Using Windows 95, POV-Ray version 3.0 as well as 3.1, I get error
>messages when trying to use a particular TrueType font:
>
>"Character XX not found" (XX being the ASCII number of the character)
>All the characters in each line of text are defined in this font, and no
>other programs have trouble using the font except for POV-Ray. They are
>not high-ASCII characters; most of them are uppercase or lowercase
>letters.
>Now here's the stinger: This font is homemade. It was made with a tool
>called Softy, which doesn't allow some additional data (offset/size for
>superscripts, subscripts, etc., etc.) to be defined. Other fonts that
>*do* work have additional table entries that I suspect are expected by
>POV-Ray to be there.

>My guess about this bug is that POV-Ray is looking for a part of the
>font file that doesn't need to exist in order to have a working font.
>(However, if anyone can tell me what's still missing, and what I can do
>to add that information to the font, I'd be most grateful.) It should be
>able to check the character map without trouble, but something is
>throwing it off.

The character map is in fact the problem:

; TrueType v1.0 Dump Program - v1.60, Jul 10 1995, rrt, dra, gch, ddb, lcp
; Copyright (C) 1991 ZSoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
; Portions Copyright (C) 1991-1995 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

; Dumping file 'lummox.ttf'

.
.
.

'cmap' Table - Character To Index Map
-------------------------------------
Size = 408 bytes
  'cmap' version:  0
  numTables:       2

Subtable  1.   Platform ID:   1
               Specific ID:   0
               'cmap' Offset: 0x00000014
	      ->Format:	0 : Byte encoding table
		Length:		0
		Version:	0
.
.
.

This is the charmap POV wants to read (it looks for a platform ID of
1 or 3, apparently, using the first one it finds.) However, this charmap
is useless: it doesn't have any entries, so by default maps every character
to glyph zero, though I have some doubts as to whether POV even properly
reads "short" tables.

If you can, make sure your software creates a proper cmap for platform 1,
specific 0, format 0.  If your software can't export a proper cmap, you
might have a problem.  A little hex editing to change the platform ID on
this bad cmap would do the trick with POV, but I don't know at what offset
within the file that information is stored.

Post a reply to this message