POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : TrueType "char not found" errors in POV-Ray 3.x : Re: TrueType "char not found" errors in POV-Ray 3.x Server Time
26 Jun 2024 05:59:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TrueType "char not found" errors in POV-Ray 3.x
From: Lummox JR
Date: 4 Feb 1999 21:48:15
Message: <36BA5C3F.2255@aol.com>
Ron Parker wrote:
> 'cmap' Table - Character To Index Map
> -------------------------------------
> Size = 408 bytes
>   'cmap' version:  0
>   numTables:       2
>
> Subtable  1.   Platform ID:   1
>                Specific ID:   0
>                'cmap' Offset: 0x00000014
>               ->Format: 0 : Byte encoding table
>                 Length:         0
>                 Version:        0
>
> This is the charmap POV wants to read (it looks for a platform ID of
> 1 or 3, apparently, using the first one it finds.) However, this charmap
> is useless: it doesn't have any entries, so by default maps every character
> to glyph zero, though I have some doubts as to whether POV even properly
> reads "short" tables.
>
> If you can, make sure your software creates a proper cmap for platform 1,
> specific 0, format 0.  If your software can't export a proper cmap, you
> might have a problem.  A little hex editing to change the platform ID on
> this bad cmap would do the trick with POV, but I don't know at what offset
> within the file that information is stored.

Yep, that was it. I don't know why Softy didn't save a proper cmap, but
it was indeed wrong. The parameters for it were all wrong; the length
for the cmap was in there, but not in the right place. The offset was
wrong, the format was wrong, and the table was blank.
Not knowing any easy way to get rid of it, I simply changed it. The only
thing I could think to do was to look up the correct format (from the
info I found online) and insert some semi-valid data around the bad
data. I put in all the glyphs I needed to, etc., and now POV-Ray has no
problem with it. I didn't dare change the length of the table to format
it correctly, though; I know how, but the adjustments would have been a
nightmare.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Lummox JR