POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : vaxis_rotate bug Server Time
1 Jun 2024 10:46:39 EDT (-0400)
  vaxis_rotate bug (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Craig Shuck
Subject: vaxis_rotate bug
Date: 30 Dec 1998 14:49:09
Message: <368A8340.99D36288@mcdata.com>
The vector function   vaxis_rotate(A,B,F)  generates  "-nan"
for x, y, and z if  B = <0,0,0>.  Modifying x,y, or z by adding
a small amount ( .0001 ) is a partial work-around.

Attached is a simple reproduction.

If this isn't a bug, but just a mathematical "thing", I'm sorry to have
taken your time.

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

 I'm running POV version 3.1a.watcom.win32
Windows NT 4.0, SP4
Pentium 100 Mhz, 64 MB mem

Craig Shuck wrote:

> The vector function   vaxis_rotate(A,B,F)  generates  "-nan"
> for x, y, and z if  B = <0,0,0>.  Modifying x,y, or z by adding
> a small amount ( .0001 ) is a partial work-around.
>
> Attached is a simple reproduction.
>
> If this isn't a bug, but just a mathematical "thing", I'm sorry to have
> taken your time.
>
> Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

Geez, you'd think I'd know how to attach a file!

Here it is.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'bugged.pov.txt' (2 KB)

> The vector function   vaxis_rotate(A,B,F)  generates  "-nan"
> for x, y, and z if  B = <0,0,0>.  Modifying x,y, or z by adding
> a small amount ( .0001 ) is a partial work-around.
>
> Attached is a simple reproduction.
>
> If this isn't a bug, but just a mathematical "thing", I'm sorry to have
> taken your time.
>
> Thanks!

The B is an axis around which to rotate the point eg. if B=<1,0,0> then
the point is rotated around the x axis. If it's <0,0,0>, then it does
not represent a proper axis, which way does the vector <0,0,0> point?

Cheers, PoD.

Post a reply to this message

>> If this isn't a bug, but just a mathematical "thing", I'm sorry to have
>> taken your time.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>The B is an axis around which to rotate the point eg. if B=<1,0,0> then
>the point is rotated around the x axis. If it's <0,0,0>, then it does
>not represent a proper axis, which way does the vector <0,0,0> point?
>
>Cheers, PoD.

This may be related to the divide by zero problem(hate to call user error a
bug).

Garbage in, Garbage Out
Tom