POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Limit on # of Triangles ??? Server Time
23 Jun 2024 14:57:42 EDT (-0400)
  Limit on # of Triangles ??? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: John Roberts
Subject: Limit on # of Triangles ???
Date: 5 Oct 1998 16:10:48
Message: <361919b8.0@news.povray.org>
Hello All

I am running POV-RAY vers. 3.1, on an NT4.0 (service pack 3), Pentium II
dual 400 MHz, 512 MB RAM.

Here is the problem - If I try to include an object in the scene file which
has more than 15,000 triangles, POV-RAY crashes during the render.

It seems to be related only to the number of triangles, because if I
substitute the object with one that has fewer triangles (leaving all else
the same), the render executes OK.

Furthermore, if I include several simpler objects, say 8 objects with 5000
triangles, I have the same problem. If I gradually reduce the number of
objects, say to just two, then it renders again.

I have also tried reducing the number of colors on my display settings, but
that has no effect. I am also not using up the physical RAM on the computer.

Is this a problem unique to my setup, or does POV-RAY have an upper limit on
the complexity of the INC files? Based on some of the incredible renderings
I have seen, I suspect that I am not having a POV_RAY limit problem. Has
anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help
jro### [at] swriorg

Post a reply to this message

This is probably not a POV problem but instead an operating system problem.
Try rendering this scene on a UNIX machine if you have access to one.  Also
make sure that you're using a triangle mesh and not a union of triangles.

-Nathan