POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Something abstract Server Time: 30 Mar 2020 14:40:42 GMT
  Something abstract (Message 1 to 10 of 11)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Samuel B 
Subject: Something abstract
Date: 1 Mar 2020 23:15:01
Message: <web.5e5c41305cd1ad92e57675270@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I'm pretty much just checking in to say hi. Hi!

This image uses clipped height fields and a technique resembling marching
squares. Just messing around, pretty much. Hope everyone's doing well!

Sam


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'tilefinder23m_03s+1m_32s.jpg' (265 KB)

Preview of image 'tilefinder23m_03s+1m_32s.jpg'
tilefinder23m_03s+1m_32s.jpg


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Something abstract
Date: 2 Mar 2020 07:47:19
Message: <5e5cba07$1@news.povray.org>
Op 02/03/2020 om 00:11 schreef Samuel B.:
> Hi all,
> 
> I'm pretty much just checking in to say hi. Hi!
> 
> This image uses clipped height fields and a technique resembling marching
> squares. Just messing around, pretty much. Hope everyone's doing well!
> 
> Sam
> 

Sam! How good to hear from you! How are you doing? Well, I suppose, 
seeing that gorgeous pure gold artifact you must have found in the 
desert. :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: Something abstract
Date: 2 Mar 2020 17:59:12
Message: <5e5d4970$1@news.povray.org>
Samuel B. wrote on 02/03/2020 00:11:
> Hi all,
> 
> I'm pretty much just checking in to say hi. Hi!
> 
> This image uses clipped height fields and a technique resembling marching
> squares. Just messing around, pretty much. Hope everyone's doing well!
> 
> Sam
> 

Very intriguing, as always, Sam!

Paolo


Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Something abstract
Date: 2 Mar 2020 19:20:04
Message: <web.5e5d5b41bbabb1311b6c6b3a0@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hi all,

Great to see you're still producing the goods! Lovely image as always.

Bill


Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel B 
Subject: Re: Something abstract
Date: 2 Mar 2020 22:05:01
Message: <web.5e5d82ccbbabb131e57675270@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>
> Sam! How good to hear from you! How are you doing? Well, I suppose,
> seeing that gorgeous pure gold artifact you must have found in the
> desert. :-)

On average: ok ;) Yourself?


Post a reply to this message

From: Norbert Kern
Subject: Re: Something abstract
Date: 2 Mar 2020 22:40:00
Message: <web.5e5d8b20bbabb131ab765f000@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm pretty much just checking in to say hi. Hi!
>
> This image uses clipped height fields and a technique resembling marching
> squares. Just messing around, pretty much. Hope everyone's doing well!
>
> Sam


Hi Samuel,

I know your clipped height fields code, but I don't get the marching squares
part.
Is it similar to your code for Randomized orientation of pattern instances?

And - your image is simple, but beautiful!
Hopefully you will make and publish more povray images.

Regards,
Norbert


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Something abstract
Date: 3 Mar 2020 07:26:05
Message: <5e5e068d$1@news.povray.org>
Op 02/03/2020 om 23:03 schreef Samuel B.:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>
>> Sam! How good to hear from you! How are you doing? Well, I suppose,
>> seeing that gorgeous pure gold artifact you must have found in the
>> desert. :-)
> 
> On average: ok ;) Yourself?
> 

Hobbling along but I don't complain ;-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel B 
Subject: Re: Something abstract
Date: 3 Mar 2020 23:55:00
Message: <web.5e5eea0abbabb131e57675270@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm pretty much just checking in to say hi. Hi!
> >
> > This image uses clipped height fields and a technique resembling marching
> > squares. Just messing around, pretty much. Hope everyone's doing well!
> >
> > Sam
>
>
> Hi Samuel,
>
> I know your clipped height fields code, but I don't get the marching squares
> part.
> Is it similar to your code for Randomized orientation of pattern instances?
>
> And - your image is simple, but beautiful!
> Hopefully you will make and publish more povray images.
>
> Regards,
> Norbert


Hi Norbert,

I'm not sure I ever posted the thing I'm doing here. Attached is a 'cheat sheet'
showing how I figure out which tiles get used. There are 6 basic tiles: solid,
empty, outside corner, inside corner, wall, and 'bridge' which is two outside or
inside corners. I test four cells of a pattern to determine which tile gets
used. The cells are evaluated and counted starting from the bottom left. The
counting algorithm is 1*SW + 2*SE + 4*NW + 8*NE to obtain a decimal number from
the four 2 bit cells. Then I use that number to access objects created with the
cheat sheet in mind. For instance, number 1 is an outside corner facing the
upper right.

Sorry if that's confusing at all :P At any rate, I can provide the source if you
want.

Sam


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'tile chart.png' (9 KB)

Preview of image 'tile chart.png'
tile chart.png


 

From: Samuel B 
Subject: Re: Something abstract
Date: 4 Mar 2020 00:05:00
Message: <web.5e5ef02ebbabb131e57675270@news.povray.org>
> Sorry if that's confusing at all :P At any rate, I can provide the source if you
> want.
>
> Sam

I failed to mention that the fancy pattern is obtained via iterated transforms
and a warp{repeat x flip x} statement. This produces fractals :)


Post a reply to this message

From: Norbert Kern
Subject: Re: Something abstract
Date: 5 Mar 2020 12:15:02
Message: <web.5e60ec32bbabb131ab765f000@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Hi Norbert,
>
> I'm not sure I ever posted the thing I'm doing here. Attached is a 'cheat sheet'
> showing how I figure out which tiles get used. There are 6 basic tiles: solid,
> empty, outside corner, inside corner, wall, and 'bridge' which is two outside or
> inside corners. I test four cells of a pattern to determine which tile gets
> used. The cells are evaluated and counted starting from the bottom left. The
> counting algorithm is 1*SW + 2*SE + 4*NW + 8*NE to obtain a decimal number from
> the four 2 bit cells. Then I use that number to access objects created with the
> cheat sheet in mind. For instance, number 1 is an outside corner facing the
> upper right.
>
> Sorry if that's confusing at all :P At any rate, I can provide the source if you
> want.
>
> Sam


I've a clear impression of the algorithm now, but of course I want the source!

Norbert


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.