POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Something abstract : Re: Something abstract Server Time
24 Apr 2024 14:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something abstract
From: Samuel B
Date: 3 Mar 2020 18:55:00
Message: <web.5e5eea0abbabb131e57675270@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm pretty much just checking in to say hi. Hi!
> >
> > This image uses clipped height fields and a technique resembling marching
> > squares. Just messing around, pretty much. Hope everyone's doing well!
> >
> > Sam
>

> Hi Samuel,
>
> I know your clipped height fields code, but I don't get the marching squares
> part.
> Is it similar to your code for Randomized orientation of pattern instances?
>
> And - your image is simple, but beautiful!
> Hopefully you will make and publish more povray images.
>
> Regards,
> Norbert

Hi Norbert,

I'm not sure I ever posted the thing I'm doing here. Attached is a 'cheat sheet'
showing how I figure out which tiles get used. There are 6 basic tiles: solid,
empty, outside corner, inside corner, wall, and 'bridge' which is two outside or
inside corners. I test four cells of a pattern to determine which tile gets
used. The cells are evaluated and counted starting from the bottom left. The
counting algorithm is 1*SW + 2*SE + 4*NW + 8*NE to obtain a decimal number from
the four 2 bit cells. Then I use that number to access objects created with the
cheat sheet in mind. For instance, number 1 is an outside corner facing the
upper right.

Sorry if that's confusing at all :P At any rate, I can provide the source if you
want.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: