POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2020 year in review Server Time: 28 Jan 2021 15:08:11 GMT
  2020 year in review (Message 1 to 10 of 14)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: 2020 year in review
Date: 1 Jan 2021 03:35:22
Message: <5fee987a@news.povray.org>
Since Monday, my local paper has used a rather... interesting headline 
for its year in review.  I decided to POV it.

Happy 2021!


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download '2020review.jpg' (298 KB)
Download '2020review-daily_news.jpg' (40 KB)

Preview of image '2020review.jpg'
2020review.jpg

Preview of image '2020review-daily_news.jpg'
2020review-daily_news.jpg


 

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: 2020 year in review
Date: 1 Jan 2021 23:25:00
Message: <web.5fefaf16c28df9960e0cc3d0@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Since Monday, my local paper has used a rather... interesting headline
> for its year in review.  I decided to POV it.

With blurred reflection on the floor.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download '2020review.jpg' (280 KB)

Preview of image '2020review.jpg'
2020review.jpg


 

From: Ton
Subject: Re: 2020 year in review
Date: 2 Jan 2021 01:00:01
Message: <web.5fefc484c28df998987c46d0@news.povray.org>
That's well done. I hope that when they write the review for 2021 next year they
can use a thumbs-up for the 1, and not a middle finger.

Let's all have a good POV-year.

Cheers
Ton


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: 2020 year in review
Date: 2 Jan 2021 07:32:53
Message: <5ff021a5$1@news.povray.org>
Op 02/01/2021 om 01:55 schreef Ton:
> That's well done. I hope that when they write the review for 2021 next year they
> can use a thumbs-up for the 1, and not a middle finger.
> 
> Let's all have a good POV-year.
> 
> Cheers
> Ton
> 

Yes, I join you in this. Happy POV Year to all.


-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 2020 year in review
Date: 4 Jan 2021 14:20:07
Message: <web.5ff323bac28df99d98418910@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 02/01/2021 om 01:55 schreef Ton:
> > That's well done. I hope that when they write the review for 2021 next
> > year they can use a thumbs-up for the 1, and not a middle finger.
> >
> > Let's all have a good POV-year.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Ton
> >
>
> Yes, I join you in this. Happy POV Year to all.
>

2021 HAS to be better than 2020!

Just during the last three weeks, my older brother and his wife came down with
Covid-19, plus two local friends of mine and one of their wives. They are all
recovering, which is good news of course. I'm still feeling fine, I'm happy to
say.

Here in the United States, there have been TWO equally devastating viruses that
we have had to deal with: One is called 'Covid-19', the other is 'President
Donald Trump.' :-P  One infects the body, the other infects the mind. I can't
even imagine how the rest of the world views our current and crazy U.S.
situation.

Cousin Ricky wrote:
> With blurred reflection on the floor.

Nice!

How did you get those blurred reflections? My few attempts over the years to use
micro-normals have always resulted in Moire patterns that I could not eliminate.


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: 2020 year in review
Date: 4 Jan 2021 19:41:18
Message: <5ff36f5e$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-01-04 10:18 AM (-4), Kenneth wrote:
> 
> Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> With blurred reflection on the floor.
> 
> Nice!

Thanks!

> How did you get those blurred reflections? My few attempts over the years to use
> micro-normals have always resulted in Moire patterns that I could not eliminate.

I rendered 10 frames, with each frame having the micronormal translated 
and rotated randomly, then averaged the 10 frames.

In retrospect, the rotation was probably overkill.  My initial trials 
with translation only showed what looked like a blend of sharp 
reflection and blurred reflection, and since I have noticed regular 
patterns in the bumps normal, I figured rotating the normal would help 
the blurriness.  Rotating did not help, but reducing(!) bump_size did. 
Evidently, there is some sort of phase transition, somewhere between 0.1 
and 0.5, above which increasing bump_size led to poorer results.  The 
final scene uses bump_size 0.05.


Post a reply to this message

From: Robert McGregor
Subject: Re: 2020 year in review
Date: 5 Jan 2021 00:00:00
Message: <web.5ff3aaf1c28df9987570eab0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:

> With blurred reflection on the floor.

The blurred reflection version is very nice, well done sir!


Post a reply to this message

From: Robert McGregor
Subject: Re: 2020 year in review
Date: 5 Jan 2021 00:00:01
Message: <web.5ff3ab77c28df9987570eab0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Here in the United States, there have been TWO equally devastating viruses that
> we have had to deal with: One is called 'Covid-19', the other is 'President
> Donald Trump.' :-P  One infects the body, the other infects the mind. I can't
> even imagine how the rest of the world views our current and crazy U.S.
> situation.

I agree 100% Kenneth, Trumpty Dumpty is obviously (and literally) insane. Stay
safe!


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: 2020 year in review
Date: 5 Jan 2021 15:17:57
Message: <5ff48325$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2021-01-04 à 09:18, Kenneth a écrit :
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> Op 02/01/2021 om 01:55 schreef Ton:
>>> That's well done. I hope that when they write the review for 2021 next
>>> year they can use a thumbs-up for the 1, and not a middle finger.
>>>
>>> Let's all have a good POV-year.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Ton
>>>
>>
>> Yes, I join you in this. Happy POV Year to all.
>>
> 
> 2021 HAS to be better than 2020!
> 
> Just during the last three weeks, my older brother and his wife came down with
> Covid-19, plus two local friends of mine and one of their wives. They are all
> recovering, which is good news of course. I'm still feeling fine, I'm happy to
> say.
> 
> Here in the United States, there have been TWO equally devastating viruses that
> we have had to deal with: One is called 'Covid-19', the other is 'President
> Donald Trump.' :-P  One infects the body, the other infects the mind. I can't
> even imagine how the rest of the world views our current and crazy U.S.
> situation.
> 
> Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> With blurred reflection on the floor.
> 
> Nice!
> 
> How did you get those blurred reflections? My few attempts over the years to use
> micro-normals have always resulted in Moire patterns that I could not eliminate.
> 
> 

I tend to use some averaged micro-normals. Around 5 to 10 seems to work 
well.
I prefer to use granite as my base pattern.
I also use rather large random translations after the scaling.
Also, when doing blurred reflection, I increase the AA recursion depth 
to 5 or 6 and reduce the threshold to around 0.01 or even 0.001.


D. Trump is probably the worst leader to ever lead any country in Human 
History. And, yes, he's bat shit crazy.


Alain


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 2020 year in review
Date: 6 Jan 2021 14:15:07
Message: <web.5ff5c494c28df99d98418910@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

>
> I tend to use some averaged micro-normals. Around 5 to 10 seems to work
> well.
> I prefer to use granite as my base pattern.
> I also use rather large random translations after the scaling.

Granite-- I never thought of that. It is nicely 'random'. My own trials used
overlapped and rotated 'linear' patterns... like sine waves or scallop waves for
the normals, IIRC. Maybe that was the cause of my Moire patterns? I need to
experiment with your method.


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.