POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2020 year in review : Re: 2020 year in review Server Time
24 Apr 2024 17:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2020 year in review
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 4 Jan 2021 14:41:18
Message: <5ff36f5e$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-01-04 10:18 AM (-4), Kenneth wrote:

> Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> With blurred reflection on the floor.
>
> Nice!

Thanks!

> How did you get those blurred reflections? My few attempts over the years to use
> micro-normals have always resulted in Moire patterns that I could not eliminate.

I rendered 10 frames, with each frame having the micronormal translated
and rotated randomly, then averaged the 10 frames.

In retrospect, the rotation was probably overkill.  My initial trials
with translation only showed what looked like a blend of sharp
reflection and blurred reflection, and since I have noticed regular
patterns in the bumps normal, I figured rotating the normal would help
the blurriness.  Rotating did not help, but reducing(!) bump_size did.
Evidently, there is some sort of phase transition, somewhere between 0.1
and 0.5, above which increasing bump_size led to poorer results.  The
final scene uses bump_size 0.05.