POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : After 22 years of not using povray Server Time: 29 Sep 2020 22:36:43 GMT
  After 22 years of not using povray (Message 1 to 10 of 21)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Anthony
Subject: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 11 Jan 2020 23:01:02
Message: <5e1a53ae$1@news.povray.org>
I haven't used povray since 1998. Today, in 2020, I started again. 
Besides I never got a chance to use radiosity until now.

This rendering makes good use of three features: variable fresnel 
reflection, which provides the specular highlight without using the 
phong or specular keywords; multiple (8) area lights, which provide the 
soft shadows and just a little bit of noise; and the Radiosity_Final 
settings, which provide illumination of the indirectly lit areas.

Without these features the image would not have turned out the way I 
wanted it to. It also renders in 3 minutes, which is pretty fast.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'minigolf-final.jpg' (70 KB)

Preview of image 'minigolf-final.jpg'
minigolf-final.jpg


 

From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 12 Jan 2020 09:40:00
Message: <web.5e1ae865a225e9d7b56e457a0@news.povray.org>
Nice and neat.
Welcome back ! :-)


Anthony D'Agostino wrote:
> I haven't used povray since 1998. Today, in 2020, I started again.
> Besides I never got a chance to use radiosity until now.
>
> This rendering makes good use of three features: variable fresnel
> reflection, which provides the specular highlight without using the
> phong or specular keywords; multiple (8) area lights, which provide the
> soft shadows and just a little bit of noise; and the Radiosity_Final
> settings, which provide illumination of the indirectly lit areas.
>
> Without these features the image would not have turned out the way I
> wanted it to. It also renders in 3 minutes, which is pretty fast.


Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: Re: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 12 Jan 2020 11:25:49
Message: <5e1b023d$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 12.01.20 00:01, Anthony D'Agostino wrote:
> I haven't used povray since 1998. Today, in 2020, I started again. 
> Besides I never got a chance to use radiosity until now.

Hey, that's not before my time as a POVghan (started in 1995), but well 
before my first activities on povray.binaries.images (in autumn of 2000)!

> This rendering makes good use of three features: variable fresnel 
> reflection, which provides the specular highlight without using the 
> phong or specular keywords; multiple (8) area lights, which provide the 
> soft shadows and just a little bit of noise; and the Radiosity_Final 
> settings, which provide illumination of the indirectly lit areas.
> 
> Without these features the image would not have turned out the way I 
> wanted it to. It also renders in 3 minutes, which is pretty fast.

Absolutely lovely - and photo-realistic! What hardware did you use?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Firth of Fifth (Genesis)


Post a reply to this message

From: Pekka Aho
Subject: Re: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 12 Jan 2020 17:20:00
Message: <web.5e1b5527a225e9d797b71ede0@news.povray.org>
Now that's a nice image indeed! :)

Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> On 12.01.20 00:01, Anthony D'Agostino wrote:
> > I haven't used povray since 1998. Today, in 2020, I started again.
> > Besides I never got a chance to use radiosity until now.
>
> Hey, that's not before my time as a POVghan (started in 1995), but well
> before my first activities on povray.binaries.images (in autumn of 2000)!

Heh, I've been a POV user since 1993, but been posting here in the news groups
only since 2011 (although I've been reading these forums for a good 20 years or
so too). :D


Post a reply to this message

From: Anthony
Subject: Re: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 12 Jan 2020 21:28:37
Message: <5e1b8f85$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the comments. My PC is not that great. It has an i7-860 CPU 
(from 2009) and 8GB of memory.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 12 Jan 2020 23:15:01
Message: <web.5e1ba7d8a225e9d74eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Anthony D'Agostino wrote:
> Thanks for the comments. My PC is not that great. It has an i7-860 CPU
> (from 2009) and 8GB of memory.

I've only got a Dell Inspiron i5-2410 (from 2011), and used to use a tiny little
Acer.

I would try upgrading to POV-Ray version 3.8 to see if it works any better or
the output is different, as there have been many fixes and changes.

Beautiful scene - did you model the golf balls from scratch?


Post a reply to this message

From: Melody
Subject: Re: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 12 Jan 2020 23:35:00
Message: <web.5e1bac0ba225e9d79da690110@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>....
>
> Beautiful scene - did you model the golf balls from scratch?

I once had a program to even spaces points, its was slow, not even compiled.
This image of course made me wonder how. Apparently there are 3 methods that can
be calc'd, not looped into place.

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/golf-ball-evenly-spaced-points-on-a-sphere/86329/53

Icosahedral, Cubic, Tetrahedral


Post a reply to this message

From: Melody
Subject: Re: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 12 Jan 2020 23:40:00
Message: <web.5e1badeda225e9d79da690110@news.povray.org>
then I saw this, yikes? now I gotta know ....


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'golfball.jpg' (193 KB)

Preview of image 'golfball.jpg'
golfball.jpg


 

From: Gregor Szaktilla
Subject: Re: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 12 Jan 2020 23:51:45
Message: <5e1bb111$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.01.2020 um 00:01 schrieb Anthony D'Agostino:
> I haven't used povray since 1998. Today, in 2020, I started again.
> Besides I never got a chance to use radiosity until now.
> 
> This rendering ...

... is stunning!

Gregor


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: After 22 years of not using povray
Date: 13 Jan 2020 07:26:11
Message: <5e1c1b93$1@news.povray.org>
Op 12/01/2020 om 18:19 schreef Pekka Aho:
> Now that's a nice image indeed! :)
> 
> Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>> Hi(gh)!
>>
>> On 12.01.20 00:01, Anthony D'Agostino wrote:
>>> I haven't used povray since 1998. Today, in 2020, I started again.
>>> Besides I never got a chance to use radiosity until now.
>>
>> Hey, that's not before my time as a POVghan (started in 1995), but well
>> before my first activities on povray.binaries.images (in autumn of 2000)!
> 
> Heh, I've been a POV user since 1993, but been posting here in the news groups
> only since 2011 (although I've been reading these forums for a good 20 years or
> so too). :D
> 

I started in 1997 iirc and did not post until 2000-2001. Still I 
remember seeing your name in the posts back then. Welcome back!

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.