POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crossing Border - Take #2 Server Time: 19 Oct 2019 09:16:17 GMT
  Crossing Border - Take #2 (Message 1 to 10 of 27)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 22 Jun 2018 11:15:00
Message: <5b2cda34@news.povray.org>
A step further in the scene building. The landscape is finished. Time to 
implement the 'what's it about?' now :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'crossing border_3_03.jpg' (248 KB)

Preview of image 'crossing border_3_03.jpg'
crossing border_3_03.jpg


 

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 26 Jun 2018 17:48:08
Message: <5b327c58$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.06.2018 um 13:14 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> A step further in the scene building. The landscape is finished. Time to 
> implement the 'what's it about?' now :-)
> 
Hi Thomas,
very nice scene, and really: what is it about?
Some small remarks: the texture of the chalk cliff to the left looks 
like drawn with a ruler. I would add a little warp here, not too much of 
course. And a suggestion for the mist over the river. Last week I spent 
some days at a river side (Mosel, close to Luxembourg) and I noticed a 
very strange pattern of mist over the river. It looked like a crackle 
pattern of mist driven over the river by the wind (and passing vessels). 
At the moment I have no idea how to model this, but it would enrich your 
scene.

Best regards
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 27 Jun 2018 07:13:32
Message: <5b33391c$1@news.povray.org>
On 26-6-2018 19:48, MichaelJF wrote:
> Am 22.06.2018 um 13:14 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>> A step further in the scene building. The landscape is finished. Time 
>> to implement the 'what's it about?' now :-)
>>
> Hi Thomas,
> very nice scene, and really: what is it about?
> Some small remarks: the texture of the chalk cliff to the left looks 
> like drawn with a ruler. I would add a little warp here, not too much of 
> course. And a suggestion for the mist over the river. Last week I spent 
> some days at a river side (Mosel, close to Luxembourg) and I noticed a 
> very strange pattern of mist over the river. It looked like a crackle 
> pattern of mist driven over the river by the wind (and passing vessels). 
> At the moment I have no idea how to model this, but it would enrich your 
> scene.
> 
> Best regards
> Michael

Thanks Michael, I really appreciate your comments.

What the scene is about? I must confess that this is rather frustrating 
to answer. It has to do with refugees of course. The concept came to my 
mind about half a year ago. It was about an elaborate sculpture rather 
than a literal scene, with - additionally - some little scene details I 
find so fascinating in the work of Piranesi. However, 'Real Life' went 
faster than my modelling, 'Reality' surpassing 'Fiction' as it were, 
and - to tell the truth - I find it rather depressing to continue on the 
path I originally intended to go. So... I do not know yet if this 
project will ever be finished.

There is already some warp in the normal controlling the rocks. I shall 
revisit the code though.

For the time being, there is a bit of fog over the water, nothing 
fanciful, I may replace it by a proper media later on with an 
appropriate density pattern. Good suggestion!

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 27 Jun 2018 19:37:53
Message: <5b33e791$1@news.povray.org>
> 
> Thanks Michael, I really appreciate your comments.
> 
> What the scene is about? I must confess that this is rather frustrating 
> to answer. It has to do with refugees of course. The concept came to my 
> mind about half a year ago. It was about an elaborate sculpture rather 
> than a literal scene, with - additionally - some little scene details I 
> find so fascinating in the work of Piranesi. However, 'Real Life' went 
> faster than my modelling, 'Reality' surpassing 'Fiction' as it were, and 
> - to tell the truth - I find it rather depressing to continue on the 
> path I originally intended to go. So... I do not know yet if this 
> project will ever be finished.
> 

A difficult topic indeed. I had a lot of discussions about it during my 
electional campaign last year. The best cartoon I noticed so far:

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/themen/zeitung-im-salon/diwan-salon-mit-klaus-stuttmann-und-ahmad-barakizadeh-fluechtlinge-ueberall/14853440.html#!kalooga-20590/~%22Angela%20Merkel%22%20~putin%5E0.75%20~lars%5E0.56%20~europa%5E0.42%20~Abendland%5E0.32

"Are you refugees too?", "Yes, tax refugees".

Best regards
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 28 Jun 2018 06:38:08
Message: <5b348250@news.povray.org>
On 27-6-2018 21:38, MichaelJF wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Michael, I really appreciate your comments.
>>
>> What the scene is about? I must confess that this is rather 
>> frustrating to answer. It has to do with refugees of course. The 
>> concept came to my mind about half a year ago. It was about an 
>> elaborate sculpture rather than a literal scene, with - additionally - 
>> some little scene details I find so fascinating in the work of 
>> Piranesi. However, 'Real Life' went faster than my modelling, 
>> 'Reality' surpassing 'Fiction' as it were, and - to tell the truth - I 
>> find it rather depressing to continue on the path I originally 
>> intended to go. So... I do not know yet if this project will ever be 
>> finished.
>>
> 
> A difficult topic indeed. I had a lot of discussions about it during my 
> electional campaign last year. 

I can readily imagine that. It is the topic of the day that can break up 
friendships and families. Similar to "L'affaire Dreyfus" in 1898:

http://www.actuabd.com/local/cache-vignettes/L300xH364/Caran-d-ache-dreyfusaffaire-7f4b4.jpg?1468996644


> The best cartoon I noticed so far:
> 
>
https://www.tagesspiegel.de/themen/zeitung-im-salon/diwan-salon-mit-klaus-stuttmann-und-ahmad-barakizadeh-fluechtlinge-ueberall/14853440.html#!kalooga-20590/~%22Angela%20Merkel%22%20~putin%5E0.75%20~lars%5E0.56%20~europa%5E0.42%20~Abendland%5E0.32

> 
> 
> "Are you refugees too?", "Yes, tax refugees".

LOL, yes that is an excellent one indeed.


-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 28 Jun 2018 07:24:06
Message: <5b348d16$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/06/2018 07:38, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I can readily imagine that. It is the topic of the day that can break up 
> friendships and families. Similar to "L'affaire Dreyfus" in 1898:

You really have a good memory, Thomas. ;-)

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 28 Jun 2018 11:16:27
Message: <5b34c38b$1@news.povray.org>
On 28-6-2018 9:24, Stephen wrote:
> On 28/06/2018 07:38, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> I can readily imagine that. It is the topic of the day that can break 
>> up friendships and families. Similar to "L'affaire Dreyfus" in 1898:
> 
> You really have a good memory, Thomas. ;-)
> 

Well, I remember hitting my mother in law... ;-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 28 Jun 2018 11:19:17
Message: <5b34c435@news.povray.org>
I rendered a variation. Rock warp included.

Somehow, I prefer this hour of the day.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'crossing border_3_03a.jpg' (280 KB)

Preview of image 'crossing border_3_03a.jpg'
crossing border_3_03a.jpg


 

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 28 Jun 2018 12:58:16
Message: <5b34db68$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/06/2018 12:19, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I rendered a variation. Rock warp included.
> 
I prefer the original rock

> Somehow, I prefer this hour of the day.
> 

Because the sun is above the yardarm, or is that just me? ;-)
I prefer this hour of day too.

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
Date: 28 Jun 2018 13:04:37
Message: <5b34dce5$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/06/2018 12:16, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 28-6-2018 9:24, Stephen wrote:
>> On 28/06/2018 07:38, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> I can readily imagine that. It is the topic of the day that can break 
>>> up friendships and families. Similar to "L'affaire Dreyfus" in 1898:
>>
>> You really have a good memory, Thomas. ;-)
>>
> 
> Well, I remember hitting my mother in law... ;-)
> 

And after that?

Here Brexit is almost as controversial.
The Dreyfus affair is a stain on France's reputation. Not that the Brits 
are free from guilt in that department.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44640086

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.