POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crossing Border - Take #2 : Re: Crossing Border - Take #2 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:04:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crossing Border - Take #2
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Jun 2018 03:13:32
Message: <5b33391c$1@news.povray.org>
On 26-6-2018 19:48, MichaelJF wrote:
> Am 22.06.2018 um 13:14 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>> A step further in the scene building. The landscape is finished. Time
>> to implement the 'what's it about?' now :-)
>>
> Hi Thomas,
> very nice scene, and really: what is it about?
> Some small remarks: the texture of the chalk cliff to the left looks
> like drawn with a ruler. I would add a little warp here, not too much of
> course. And a suggestion for the mist over the river. Last week I spent
> some days at a river side (Mosel, close to Luxembourg) and I noticed a
> very strange pattern of mist over the river. It looked like a crackle
> pattern of mist driven over the river by the wind (and passing vessels).
> At the moment I have no idea how to model this, but it would enrich your
> scene.
>
> Best regards
> Michael

Thanks Michael, I really appreciate your comments.

What the scene is about? I must confess that this is rather frustrating
to answer. It has to do with refugees of course. The concept came to my
mind about half a year ago. It was about an elaborate sculpture rather
than a literal scene, with - additionally - some little scene details I
find so fascinating in the work of Piranesi. However, 'Real Life' went
faster than my modelling, 'Reality' surpassing 'Fiction' as it were,
and - to tell the truth - I find it rather depressing to continue on the
path I originally intended to go. So... I do not know yet if this
project will ever be finished.

There is already some warp in the normal controlling the rocks. I shall
revisit the code though.

For the time being, there is a bit of fog over the water, nothing
fanciful, I may replace it by a proper media later on with an
appropriate density pattern. Good suggestion!

--
Thomas