POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : No image Server Time: 19 Dec 2018 07:35:09 GMT
  No image (Message 1 to 10 of 39)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: No image
Date: 27 Jun 2018 02:05:01
Message: <web.5b32f0c22078c5ce458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
Hi jr - I really thought I'd get to this sooner, but this ought to get you on
the right path.

#version 3.8;
// Code by William Pokorny, modified by Bill Walker (Bald Eagle) for jr
2018-06-26
// Animation settings - 50 frames, clock from -1 to 1
global_settings {assumed_gamma 1}


#include "colors.inc"
#include "functions.inc"
background {Black}


#declare Camera00 = camera {
     perspective
     location <3,3,-3.001>
     sky y
     angle 35
     right x*(image_width/image_height)
     look_at <0,0,0>
}



#declare White = srgb <1,1,1>;
#declare Light00 = light_source { <50,150,-250>, White }
#declare Red = srgb <1,0,0>;
#declare CylinderX = cylinder { -1*x, 1*x, 0.01 pigment { Red } }
#declare Green = srgb <0,1,0>;
#declare CylinderY = cylinder { -1*y, 1*y, 0.01 pigment { Green } }
#declare Blue = srgb <0,0,1>;
#declare CylinderZ = cylinder { -1*z, 1*z, 0.01 pigment { Blue } }

#declare Base = box {<-1, -0.51, -1>, <1, -0.5, 1> pigment {Gray10}}




#declare InvisibleObject = sphere {<0,0,0>, 0.5}
#declare InvisibleObjectMediaContainer = sphere {<0,0,0>, 0.6}


#declare S = 0.4;
#declare FnZero = function (x,y,z) {0}
//#declare Scanner = box {-S*<1, 1, 1>, S*<1, 1, 1>}
#declare Scanner = cylinder {-1*x, 1*x, 0.1 translate y*0.5 translate
-y*pow(clock,2)}
#declare FnScanner = function {pattern {object {Scanner}}}

#declare FnInvisibleObject = function {pattern {object {InvisibleObject}}}

// user_defined {FnRed, FnGreen, FnBlue, FnFilter, FnTransmit}
#declare ShowOverlap = density {
     user_defined {
         function { FnZero (x,y,z) },
         function { FnInvisibleObject (x,y,z)*FnScanner(x,y,z) },
         function { FnZero(x,y,z) },,
     }
}

#declare Media00 = media {
     method       3
     samples      300
     emission     rgb <1,1,1>
     density {ShowOverlap}
}
#declare Clear100 = srgbt <1,1,1,1>;
#declare Texture00 = texture {pigment {color Clear100}}
#declare Interior00 = interior {ior 1 media {Media00}}
#declare Material00 =
material {
     texture {Texture00}
     interior {Interior00}
}
#declare ObjectMediaContainer =
object {
     InvisibleObjectMediaContainer
     material {Material00}
     hollow
}

//--- scene ---
    camera {Camera00}
    light_source {Light00}
    //object {CylinderX}
    //object {CylinderY}
    //object {CylinderZ}
    object {Base}
    object {ObjectMediaContainer}

//------------------------------------------


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'scanner.mpg' (147 KB)

From: jr
Subject: Re: No image
Date: 27 Jun 2018 17:15:01
Message: <web.5b33c4e3326cb273635cc5ad0@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Hi jr - I really thought I'd get to this sooner, but this ought to get you on
> the right path.

<code snipped>

wow, thank you very much.  that presentation video is .. natty.  :-)

looking at it all with an extra day's reflection, I now see that I ought to
learn walking before running.  </sighs>  so, the next steps will be using your
and WF Pokorny's code as starting points for "re-construction" to "fit" my aims.
 and this time it'll have to be systematic.  :-)


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: No image
Date: 27 Jun 2018 22:50:01
Message: <web.5b341412326cb273458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> wow, thank you very much.  that presentation video is .. natty.  :-)

Well, yes.  We all develop an individual style, and like they say - you should
stick with what you're good at   ;)

I figured I needed to hammer something functional out that would illustrate the
proof of concept, and I had like 20 minutes to do it...

> looking at it all with an extra day's reflection, I now see that I ought to
> learn walking before running.  </sighs>

Never any harm trying to hit the ground running, but sometimes if that doesn't
work, a slow, methodical working up from first-principles seems to be the best
way to achieve success.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
You can't miss fast enough to win.

> so, the next steps will be using your
> and WF Pokorny's code as starting points for "re-construction" to "fit" my aims.
>  and this time it'll have to be systematic.  :-)

Sometimes the best thing to do is write a pseudocode / explanatory outline to
lay out the flow of things.   It also helps identify sticky spots, clarify the
order of operations, how things need to be defined, hierarchies, data
structures, how layers should be constructed, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've answered my own question in the middle of
typing up a post trying to explain what I'm failing at doing.  :D



I'm hoping to get some free time to play with this some more and make something
a bit more refined   ;)


Post a reply to this message

From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: No image
Date: 27 Jun 2018 23:21:16
Message: <5b341bec$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/27/2018 06:47 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> 
> I can't tell you how many times I've answered my own question in the middle of
> typing up a post trying to explain what I'm failing at doing.  :D

Ditto.

-- 
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: No image
Date: 28 Jun 2018 13:30:03
Message: <5b34e2db@news.povray.org>
Am 28.06.2018 um 00:47 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> I can't tell you how many times I've answered my own question in the middle of
> typing up a post trying to explain what I'm failing at doing.  :D

Word.


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: No image
Date: 28 Jun 2018 14:33:55
Message: <5b34f1d3$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/06/2018 14:29, clipka wrote:
> Am 28.06.2018 um 00:47 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> 
>> I can't tell you how many times I've answered my own question in the middle of
>> typing up a post trying to explain what I'm failing at doing.  :D
> 
> Word.
> 

Agreement?

(Is there a prize?)

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: No image
Date: 28 Jun 2018 17:10:00
Message: <web.5b35150f326cb273635cc5ad0@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> > wow, thank you very much.  that presentation video is .. natty.  :-)
> Well, yes.  We all develop an individual style, and like they say - you should
> stick with what you're good at   ;)
> I figured I needed to hammer something functional out that would illustrate the
> proof of concept, and I had like 20 minutes to do it...

visually v accomplished for a 20 minute "job".

there is one drawback, from my perspective, the lack of a second media which
interacts, otoh I now know that the animation related stuff can be taken care of
early, earlier than I thought.

> > looking at it all with an extra day's reflection, I now see that I ought to
> > learn walking before running.  </sighs>
>
> Never any harm trying to hit the ground running, but sometimes if that doesn't
> work, a slow, methodical working up from first-principles seems to be the best
> way to achieve success.
> Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
> You can't miss fast enough to win.

not familiar with that phrase.  like: you can't win a race in the opening lap?

> > so, the next steps will be using your
> > and WF Pokorny's code as starting points for "re-construction" to "fit" my aims.
> >  and this time it'll have to be systematic.  :-)
>
> Sometimes the best thing to do is write a pseudocode / explanatory outline to
> lay out the flow of things.

I'm too old to work on-screen exclusively.  :-)  but an outline, no matter how
detailed, cannot compensate for lacking .. in the basics.

> It also helps identify sticky spots, clarify the
> order of operations, how things need to be defined, hierarchies, data
> structures, how layers should be constructed, etc.
>
> I can't tell you how many times I've answered my own question in the middle of
> typing up a post trying to explain what I'm failing at doing.  :D

yes, as the follow-ups attest, not an uncommon occurrence.  :-)

> I'm hoping to get some free time to play with this some more and make something
> a bit more refined   ;)

like, two media?!  ;-)

cheers.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: No image
Date: 28 Jun 2018 19:15:04
Message: <web.5b353372326cb273c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> there is one drawback, from my perspective, the lack of a second media which
> interacts, otoh I now know that the animation related stuff can be taken care of
> early, earlier than I thought.

I'd say it would have to be integrated from the start, due to the translations,
etc that are clock dependent.

What would the second media do?  Just produce a different color, and a third
color when all 3 overlap?  I'll give it a go - or you could just change my code
to make one media cylinder 100% red, and 50% green, and another media cylinder
50% green and 100% blue.  Then have them move in opposite directions, or easier
- just rotate one y*90.


> > Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
> > You can't miss fast enough to win.
>
> not familiar with that phrase.  like: you can't win a race in the opening lap?

It's more of a sporting activity referring to hitting the intended area.
Don't rush - take your time.  That makes things smooth.  The smoother it is, the
faster it will be when you speed it up.

You can be the _fastest_ person to miss the target 1000 times.... no score.


> I'm too old to work on-screen exclusively.  :-)  but an outline, no matter how
> detailed, cannot compensate for lacking .. in the basics.

I have mountains of scribble paper, and sometimes use the 3 sides of a cardboard
box (x, y, z)


> like, two media?!  ;-)

Unless you beat me to it.  :P


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: No image
Date: 28 Jun 2018 20:10:48
Message: <5b3540c8@news.povray.org>
On 28/06/2018 20:13, Bald Eagle wrote:
> It's more of a sporting activity referring to hitting the intended area.
> Don't rush - take your time.  That makes things smooth.  The smoother it is, the
> faster it will be when you speed it up.
> 
> You can be the_fastest_  person to miss the target 1000 times.... no score.

That reminds me of an article that I read years (decades?) ago. It was 
about the difference between young and older ball player’s reaction 
times. The younger less experienced players with fast reaction times 
would run and jump to catch the ball straight away. Whilst older players 
would look and think before they did anything. More often than not the 
older player would (statistically) be the better.

When I used to work for a living. I was part of a “first responder” 
team. I think that is what it is called nowadays. We were certainly 
taught to look before we leapt.


-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: No image
Date: 29 Jun 2018 16:05:01
Message: <web.5b36589a326cb273c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> like, two media?!  ;-)

So, hopefully this works (completely untested) and it what you're looking for.

#version 3.8;
// Code by William Pokorny, modified by Bill Walker (Bald Eagle) for jr
2018-06-26
// Animation settings - 50 frames, clock from -1 to 1

global_settings {assumed_gamma 1}


#include "colors.inc"
#include "functions.inc"
background {Black}


#declare Camera00 = camera {
     perspective
     location <3,3,-3.001>
     sky y
     angle 35
     right x*(image_width/image_height)
     look_at <0,0,0>
}



#declare White = srgb <1,1,1>;
#declare Light00 = light_source { <50,150,-250>, White }
#declare Red = srgb <1,0,0>;
#declare CylinderX = cylinder { -1*x, 1*x, 0.01 pigment { Red } }
#declare Green = srgb <0,1,0>;
#declare CylinderY = cylinder { -1*y, 1*y, 0.01 pigment { Green } }
#declare Blue = srgb <0,0,1>;
#declare CylinderZ = cylinder { -1*z, 1*z, 0.01 pigment { Blue } }

#declare Base = box {<-1, -0.51, -1>, <1, -0.5, 1> pigment {Gray10}}




#declare InvisibleObject = sphere {<0,0,0>, 0.5}
#declare InvisibleObjectMediaContainer = sphere {<0,0,0>, 0.6}


#declare S = 0.4;
#declare FnZero = function (x,y,z) {0}
//#declare Scanner = box {-S*<1, 1, 1>, S*<1, 1, 1>}

#declare Scanner = cylinder {-1*x, 1*x, 0.1 translate y*0.5 translate
-y*pow(clock,2)}
#declare FnScanner = function {pattern {object {Scanner}}}

#declare Scanner2 = cylinder {-1*x, 1*x, 0.1 rotate y*90 translate y*0.5
translate -y*pow(clock,2)}
#declare FnScanner2 = function {pattern {object {Scanner}}}

#declare FnInvisibleObject = function {pattern {object {InvisibleObject}}}

// user_defined {FnRed, FnGreen, FnBlue, FnFilter, FnTransmit}

#declare ShowOverlap = density {
     user_defined {
         function { FnInvisibleObject (x,y,z)*FnScanner(x,y,z) },
         function { (0.5*FnInvisibleObject (x,y,z)*FnScanner(x,y,z)) +
(0.5*FnInvisibleObject (x,y,z)*FnScanner2(x,y,z))},
         function { FnInvisibleObject (x,y,z)*FnScanner2(x,y,z) },,
     }
}

#declare Media00 = media {
     method       3
     samples      300
     emission     rgb <1,1,1>
     density {ShowOverlap}
}
#declare Clear100 = srgbt <1,1,1,1>;
#declare Texture00 = texture {pigment {color Clear100}}
#declare Interior00 = interior {ior 1 media {Media00}}
#declare Material00 =
material {
     texture {Texture00}
     interior {Interior00}
}
#declare ObjectMediaContainer =
object {
     InvisibleObjectMediaContainer
     material {Material00}
     hollow
}

//--- scene ---
    camera {Camera00}
    light_source {Light00}
    //object {CylinderX}
    //object {CylinderY}
    //object {CylinderZ}
    object {Base}
    object {ObjectMediaContainer}

//------------------------------------------


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.