POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : animation with 2-pass radiosity scenes Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:47:22 EDT (-0400)
  animation with 2-pass radiosity scenes (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mark
Subject: animation with 2-pass radiosity scenes
Date: 31 Oct 2012 10:10:00
Message: <web.50913017786ab73561dd2cde0@news.povray.org>
Hi all.

I know how to make a run of frames for animation, using the clock variable, etc.

The 3.7 beta has taken away the feature of being able to specify the filename
for saving the radiosity data, and actually saving it, from within the .pov file
itself. We must now do this in the .INI file. Ditto for loading radiosity data
in the second pass of each frame. For single scenes, this is not a problem, but
for multiple frames in an animation, how to you specify a filename that has the
frame number?  E.g frame00.rad, frame01.rad, frame02.rad, etc.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark.

Post a reply to this message

> I know how to make a run of frames for animation, using the clock variable, etc.
>
> The 3.7 beta has taken away the feature of being able to specify the filename
> for saving the radiosity data, and actually saving it, from within the .pov file
> itself. We must now do this in the .INI file. Ditto for loading radiosity data
> in the second pass of each frame. For single scenes, this is not a problem, but
> for multiple frames in an animation, how to you specify a filename that has the
> frame number?  E.g frame00.rad, frame01.rad, frame02.rad, etc.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Mark.

You'll probably need to re#write the .ini file at each frame. The following code
will automatically produce the correct file name (starting at 02 for your
situation), based on the total number of frames and current frame number:

#declare FileName_ = "somename"

#declare FileName =
 concat(
  FileName_,
  str(frame_number+1, -(log(final_frame)/log(10)+1), 0),
  ".rad"
 );

You'll need an initial .ini file to start with, of course.

If you need more assistance, just holler!

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> You'll probably need to re#write the .ini file at each frame.

are you sure the ini file is reread after each frame in an animation?
Since the ini file also specifies parameters like first and last frame
I would have thought it is read only when starting the render.

In this case the only workaround would seem to be to use an external
script to write the INI files and render each frame separately.

Post a reply to this message

> > You'll probably need to re#write the .ini file at each frame.
>
> are you sure the ini file is reread after each frame in an animation?
> Since the ini file also specifies parameters like first and last frame
> I would have thought it is read only when starting the render.

You're most likely correct. I thought I could adapt a process I use for .bat
files to work with .ini files as well, but now that you point it out, I can't
see any way it could possibly work.