POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Cannot output to JPEG under Linux Server Time
16 May 2024 20:39:54 EDT (-0400)
  Cannot output to JPEG under Linux (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Cannot output to JPEG under Linux
Date: 3 Feb 2012 13:45:00
Message: <web.4f2c2abcde8c4df78641e0c0@news.povray.org>
When rendering a scene with +FJ, POV-Ray failed with the following message:

  JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 428, caller expects 432
  JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 428, caller expects 432
  Render failed

This happened after the render was finished and all the statistics were
displayed.

I suspect that it has to do with my external monitor not being exactly the same
size as the built-in panel.  I never had this problem under Windows.

POV-Ray version: 3.7RC3
Operating system: openSUSE Linux 12.1
Hardware: HP Pavilion dv5030us Notebook PC (32 bits)
RAM: 1GB
Displays: 1280x800 built-in panel; 1680x1050 HP w2007 external monitor

Post a reply to this message

> When rendering a scene with +FJ, POV-Ray failed with the following message:
>
>    JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 428, caller expects 432
>    JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 428, caller expects 432
>    Render failed
>
> This happened after the render was finished and all the statistics were
> displayed.
>
> I suspect that it has to do with my external monitor not being exactly the same
> size as the built-in panel.  I never had this problem under Windows.

No, it has to do with you having installed an incompatible JPEG library. If
you compiled POV-Ray yourself, then your problem is that the development
version and the binary version of your JPEG library do not match.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> No, it has to do with you having installed an incompatible JPEG library. If
> you compiled POV-Ray yourself, then your problem is that the development
> version and the binary version of your JPEG library do not match.

How does something like that happen?  I downloaded JPEG 8d from www.ijg.org, and
installed it according to instructions.

Post a reply to this message

On 02/03/2012 01:43 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> When rendering a scene with +FJ, POV-Ray failed with the following message:
>
>    JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 428, caller expects 432
>    JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 428, caller expects 432
>    Render failed
>
> This happened after the render was finished and all the statistics were
> displayed.
>
> I suspect that it has to do with my external monitor not being exactly the same
> size as the built-in panel.  I never had this problem under Windows.
>
> POV-Ray version: 3.7RC3
> Operating system: openSUSE Linux 12.1
> Hardware: HP Pavilion dv5030us Notebook PC (32 bits)
> RAM: 1GB
> Displays: 1280x800 built-in panel; 1680x1050 HP w2007 external monitor

Yep ... I'm getting similar message from my fresh new opesuse12.1 install.

JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 372, caller
expects 376
JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 372, caller
expects 376

Notice the different size(s) in my message. Your follow up indicated
that you installed 8d ... I'm surprised that you didn't have a libtif
conflict. I did some investigation and found that (via the software
manager) as I was making sure all the build environment stuff was
installed I decided to give jpegv8 a try (I knew better but was curious)
it uninstalled my libtif! Hey didn't want to break dependencies, and
didn't realize my foo until configure complained. Sooo ... I'd say
jpegv8 is definitively out, and the povray build README says it ain't a
happening thing. Once I got the v8 stuff removed and the v62 stuff back
(and libtif) ... I'm still having problems writing jpg output. The
version that the repositories (12.1) have MUST be wrong! I think there
must be older versions of libjpeg out there, but since I'm more apt to
write png, I'm willing to live with it, and keep OTHER things from being
busted ;-)

On a similar note ... I also had a problem /reading/ png files until
installed libpng14-compat-devel the synopsis recommended the package for
programs that don't care about certain header (.h file) information. I
guess this was necessary because the 12.1 repositories version got
bumped up a notch from the last time I did a build.

Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 6 Feb 2012 10:30:00
Message: <web.4f2ff1622a363d0778641e0c0@news.povray.org>
James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> Yep ... I'm getting similar message from my fresh new opesuse12.1 install.
>
> JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 372, caller
> expects 376
> JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 372, caller
> expects 376
>
> Notice the different size(s) in my message. Your follow up indicated
> that you installed 8d ... I'm surprised that you didn't have a libtif
> conflict. I did some investigation and found that (via the software
> manager) as I was making sure all the build environment stuff was
> installed I decided to give jpegv8 a try (I knew better but was curious)
> it uninstalled my libtif! Hey didn't want to break dependencies, and
> didn't realize my foo until configure complained. Sooo ... I'd say
> jpegv8 is definitively out, and the povray build README says it ain't a
> happening thing. Once I got the v8 stuff removed and the v62 stuff back
> (and libtif) ... I'm still having problems writing jpg output. The
> version that the repositories (12.1) have MUST be wrong!

I spent a lot of time trying to decide between openSUSE and Ubuntu.  It just
occurred to me that since Mark Shuttleworth is a POV-Ray fan, Ubuntu might have
worked more smoothly.

> I think there
> must be older versions of libjpeg out there, but since I'm more apt to
> write png, I'm willing to live with it, and keep OTHER things from being
> busted ;-)

I'm with you there.  Before 3.7 there was the GIMP.

> On a similar note ... I also had a problem /reading/ png files until
> installed libpng14-compat-devel the synopsis recommended the package for
> programs that don't care about certain header (.h file) information. I
> guess this was necessary because the 12.1 repositories version got
> bumped up a notch from the last time I did a build.

I just used a PNG image map with no problem, but it had only 2 pixel values, <0,
0, 0> and <1, 1, 1>, so there wasn't much opportunity to blunder into any bugs.

*nix ASSumes that the user knows what he's doing.  Micro$haft ASSumes that the
user doesn't know what he's doing.  Isn't there a middle ground somewhere?  Of
course, what with the safety and the interception and all the butterfingers, I'm
not in the best mood right now.

Post a reply to this message

From: geep999
Date: 7 Feb 2012 13:45:00
Message: <web.4f3171192a363d07380f8080@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> > didn't realize my foo until configure complained. Sooo ... I'd say
> > jpegv8 is definitively out, and the povray build README says it ain't a
> > happening thing. Once I got the v8 stuff removed and the v62 stuff back
> > (and libtif) ... I'm still having problems writing jpg output. The
> > version that the repositories (12.1) have MUST be wrong!

Hmm. My Slackware has libjpeg-v8a and I don't have any problems writing jpegs
that I'm aware of. With libtiff-3.9.4 and libpng-1.4.8.
Also - the README seems a bit out of date - it refers only to 3.6 and is dated
June 2004.

Cheers,
Peter