POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : calibri.ttf font - garbled result. Server Time
18 May 2024 12:06:51 EDT (-0400)
  calibri.ttf font - garbled result. (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: geep999
Subject: calibri.ttf font - garbled result.
Date: 9 Apr 2011 07:15:01
Message: <web.4da03ea3b56b2349380f8080@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray 3.7.0.RC3 on Slackware 13.0 x86_64.
I pointed povray to use the calibri.ttf font over on my Windows 7 partition.
The result is garbled - strange letters with accents appear instead of the
expected text. (KDE's kfontview opens calibri.ttf OK, with nothing strange).

Pointing povray to use other fonts of Win7, e.g. comic.ttf and arial.ttf, was
OK.

I solved the problem by pushing calibri.ttf through fontforge and resaving it
as mycalibri.ttf.

Cheers,
Peter

Post a reply to this message

> POV-Ray 3.7.0.RC3 on Slackware 13.0 x86_64.
> I pointed povray to use the calibri.ttf font over on my Windows 7 partition.
> The result is garbled - strange letters with accents appear instead of the
> expected text. (KDE's kfontview opens calibri.ttf OK, with nothing strange).
>
> Pointing povray to use other fonts of Win7, e.g. comic.ttf and arial.ttf, was
> OK.
>
> I solved the problem by pushing calibri.ttf through fontforge and resaving it
> as mycalibri.ttf.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Peter,

I am having the same issue when trying to use the Calibri font.  Could you post
or email me the "mycalibri.ttf".  I am not familiar with FontForge or how it is
used.

Clayton

Post a reply to this message

>> POV-Ray 3.7.0.RC3 on Slackware 13.0 x86_64.
>> I pointed povray to use the calibri.ttf font over on my Windows 7 partition.
>> The result is garbled - strange letters with accents appear instead of the
>> expected text. (KDE's kfontview opens calibri.ttf OK, with nothing strange).
>>
>> Pointing povray to use other fonts of Win7, e.g. comic.ttf and arial.ttf, was
>> OK.
>>
>> I solved the problem by pushing calibri.ttf through fontforge and resaving it
>> as mycalibri.ttf.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>
> Peter,
>
> I am having the same issue when trying to use the Calibri font.  Could you post
> or email me the "mycalibri.ttf".  I am not familiar with FontForge or how it is
> used.
>
> Clayton

fyi: that's been fixed:
http://bugs.povray.org/task/200

Post a reply to this message

"cmoses" <cmo### [at] austinrrcom> wrote:
> "geep999" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > POV-Ray 3.7.0.RC3 on Slackware 13.0 x86_64.
> > I pointed povray to use the calibri.ttf font over on my Windows 7 partition.
> > The result is garbled - strange letters with accents appear instead of the
> > expected text. (KDE's kfontview opens calibri.ttf OK, with nothing strange).
> >
> > Pointing povray to use other fonts of Win7, e.g. comic.ttf and arial.ttf, was
> > OK.
> >
> > I solved the problem by pushing calibri.ttf through fontforge and resaving it
> > as mycalibri.ttf.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Peter
>
> Peter,
>
> I am having the same issue when trying to use the Calibri font.  Could you post
> or email me the "mycalibri.ttf".  I am not familiar with FontForge or how it is
> used.
>
> Clayton
Hi Clayton,
I have emailed a file to you from my yahoo.co.uk email.
Perhaps you could let me know here if you received it and it's OK.
Cheers,
Peter

Post a reply to this message

> "cmoses" <cmo### [at] austinrrcom> wrote:
> > "geep999" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > POV-Ray 3.7.0.RC3 on Slackware 13.0 x86_64.
> > > I pointed povray to use the calibri.ttf font over on my Windows 7 partition.
> > > The result is garbled - strange letters with accents appear instead of the
> > > expected text. (KDE's kfontview opens calibri.ttf OK, with nothing strange).
> > >
> > > Pointing povray to use other fonts of Win7, e.g. comic.ttf and arial.ttf, was
> > > OK.
> > >
> > > I solved the problem by pushing calibri.ttf through fontforge and resaving it
> > > as mycalibri.ttf.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Peter
> >
> > Peter,
> >
> > I am having the same issue when trying to use the Calibri font.  Could you post
> > or email me the "mycalibri.ttf".  I am not familiar with FontForge or how it is
> > used.
> >
> > Clayton
> Hi Clayton,
> I have emailed a file to you from my yahoo.co.uk email.
> Perhaps you could let me know here if you received it and it's OK.
> Cheers,
> Peter

Peter,

I got the file and added it to my fonts through the Font installer.  I have
tried using it in POVRAY, but I am still getting strange characters when I run.
Is there another way to install the font?  Or can I use it in another folder?

Clayton

Post a reply to this message

>>> Peter,
>>>
>>> I am having the same issue when trying to use the Calibri font.  Could you post
>>> or email me the "mycalibri.ttf".  I am not familiar with FontForge or how it is
>>> used.
>>>
>>> Clayton
>> Hi Clayton,
>> I have emailed a file to you from my yahoo.co.uk email.
>> Perhaps you could let me know here if you received it and it's OK.
>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>
> Peter,
>
> I got the file and added it to my fonts through the Font installer.  I have
> tried using it in POVRAY, but I am still getting strange characters when I run.
> Is there another way to install the font?  Or can I use it in another folder?
>
> Clayton

you should be able to source that file if it's in your current directory
(or any /any/ path specified in Library_Path ... or wait until the fix
is released, as the modified font file /may/ become moot.

Ciao

Post a reply to this message

From: geep999
Date: 12 May 2011 15:05:01
Message: <web.4dcc2e383d44a756380f8080@news.povray.org>
> Peter,
>
> I got the file and added it to my fonts through the Font installer.  I have
> tried using it in POVRAY, but I am still getting strange characters when I run.
> Is there another way to install the font?  Or can I use it in another folder?
>
> Clayton
Have sent a revised file with a different internal name.
I assume you're on Windows (I'm on Linux) - and I wonder if Windows got confused
having 2 fonts with the same name, even though the .ttf files have different
names.

Cheers,
Peter

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 13 May 2011 03:12:41
Message: <4dccd9e9@news.povray.org>
Am 11.05.2011 20:58, schrieb Jim Holsenback:

> you should be able to source that file if it's in your current directory
> (or any /any/ path specified in Library_Path ... or wait until the fix
> is released, as the modified font file /may/ become moot.

It /will/ become moot :-) (tested it myself)