POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : warning postings Server Time
18 May 2024 13:32:43 EDT (-0400)
  warning postings (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Subject: warning postings
Date: 26 Feb 2011 14:35:00
Message: <web.4d6955267bfb5e80b05ef170@news.povray.org>
I have noticed that when 3.7 posts Parse Warnings, they appear with the file
name and line number in the bottom bar briefly, however, when reported to the
message window, onl;y the parse warning appears with the file and line number
location.  Is this intended this way?  I find knowing the parse warining
locations useful so I can fix if I want (their appearance on the bottom bar is
only brief, so not much use to keep track).  or is this something that I have
turned ioff and can turn back on adn haven't noticed?

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I have noticed that when 3.7 posts Parse Warnings, they appear with the file
> name and line number in the bottom bar briefly, however, when reported to the
> message window, onl;y the parse warning appears with the file and line number
> location.  Is this intended this way?  I find knowing the parse warining
> locations useful so I can fix if I want (their appearance on the bottom bar is
> only brief, so not much use to keep track).  or is this something that I have
> turned ioff and can turn back on adn haven't noticed?
>
> -tgq

Highly agreed. Some of the messages are of rare use (number of finite objects,
etc.) It would be far more important and useful to add line numbers (and file
names in the case of parsed inc files) to the Parse warning and Possible parse
error messages.

Post a reply to this message

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 26/02/2011 7:31 PM, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
>> I have noticed that when 3.7 posts Parse Warnings, they appear with
>> the file
>> name and line number in the bottom bar briefly, however, when reported
>> to the
>> message window, onl;y the parse warning appears with the file and line
>> number
>> location. Is this intended this way? I find knowing the parse warining
>> locations useful so I can fix if I want (their appearance on the
>> bottom bar is
>> only brief, so not much use to keep track). or is this something that
>> I have
>> turned ioff and can turn back on adn haven't noticed?

I think those are coming from notations like this: scale z*1 (yours
perhaps diff axis) ... there were a couple of them is the ndi bench include

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Jun 2011 08:34:42
Message: <4dea2662@news.povray.org>
On 04/06/2011 1:15 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:

> I think those are coming from notations like this: scale z*1 (yours
> perhaps diff axis) ... there were a couple of them is the ndi bench include

LOL you picked the one axis that didn't have it.

What do you mean by "notations"? Comments?

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 4 Jun 2011 08:39:10
Message: <4dea276e$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/04/2011 09:34 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 1:15 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:

>> I think those are coming from notations like this: scale z*1 (yours
>> perhaps diff axis) ... there were a couple of them is the ndi bench
>> include
>
> LOL you picked the one axis that didn't have it.
>
> What do you mean by "notations"? Comments?

code ... lol poor choice of words i guess

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Jun 2011 08:43:45
Message: <4dea2881$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/06/2011 1:39 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 06/04/2011 09:34 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 04/06/2011 1:15 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:

>>> I think those are coming from notations like this: scale z*1 (yours
>>> perhaps diff axis) ... there were a couple of them is the ndi bench
>>> include
>>
>> LOL you picked the one axis that didn't have it.
>>
>> What do you mean by "notations"? Comments?
>>

> code ... lol poor choice of words i guess

I'll check when this render finishes but I doubt it as it is not hand
coded.
I'm just cleaning up an old scene.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Jun 2011 10:14:47
Message: <4dea3dd7$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/06/2011 1:15 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> I think those are coming from notations like this: scale z*1 (yours
> perhaps diff axis) ... there were a couple of them is the ndi bench include

Give that man a coconut! You were dead right.

was butchered by me.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom A
Date: 29 Jul 2013 17:10:01
Message: <web.51f6d9df9da0f73ca45f86ff0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 1:15 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> > I think those are coming from notations like this: scale z*1 (yours
> > perhaps diff axis) ... there were a couple of them is the ndi bench include
>
> Give that man a coconut! You were dead right.
>

> was butchered by me.
>

> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

But this leaves the original question unanswered -- why isn't the file and line
number associated with the warning in the message screen?  Didn't it used to do
this in 3.6?

Tom A.
who is looking for a pretty printer to help debug a missing END from a very
messy scene file.