POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Cannot find source file Server Time
25 Jun 2024 03:05:10 EDT (-0400)
  Cannot find source file (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: 43oasis
Subject: Cannot find source file
Date: 21 Oct 2010 04:55:00
Message: <web.4cbffeba44ad01bf5742d5ac0@news.povray.org>
Hello
While running PovRay 3.7/39 (but I got the same pb with earlier releases)
through an INI script on long (several hundreds) sequences of images, after some
time, PovRay stop, and I get a message like the subject of this post. The path
and name of the supposedly missing file, displayed in the message window, are
absolutely correct. If I restart the script, restricted to the end of the
sequence, things go on for a few steps, then block again. And so on. If I
restart PovRay, things go on for a large number of steps.
Is there some kind of pile, with an adjustable length ?
Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Q6600, 4Go memory, plenty of disk space.
Many thanks !
43oasis

Post a reply to this message

> While running PovRay 3.7/39 (but I got the same pb with earlier releases)
> through an INI script on long (several hundreds) sequences of images, after some
> time, PovRay stop, and I get a message like the subject of this post. The path
> and name of the supposedly missing file, displayed in the message window, are
> absolutely correct. If I restart the script, restricted to the end of the
> sequence, things go on for a few steps, then block again. And so on. If I
> restart PovRay, things go on for a large number of steps.
> Is there some kind of pile, with an adjustable length ?
> Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Q6600, 4Go memory, plenty of disk space.
> Many thanks !
> 43oasis

Has your process ever worked? In your opening sentence you seem to be
saying that you've had the same problem with previous releases? Does
your process work on version 3.6 ... if so maybe this news group is
where you need to be. If you're trying to debug a new process, perhaps
one of the other news groups would be a better fit. Does your scene
render fine on it's own? Maybe your INI file needs some work. A tiny bit
more detail would be helpful.

Post a reply to this message

> While running PovRay 3.7/39 (but I got the same pb with earlier releases)
> through an INI script on long (several hundreds) sequences of images, after some
> time, PovRay stop, and I get a message like the subject of this post. The path
> and name of the supposedly missing file, displayed in the message window, are
> absolutely correct. If I restart the script, restricted to the end of the
> sequence, things go on for a few steps, then block again. And so on. If I
> restart PovRay, things go on for a large number of steps.
> Is there some kind of pile, with an adjustable length ?
> Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Q6600, 4Go memory, plenty of disk space.
> Many thanks !
> 43oasis

I got the same error in an animation using the command line options. The
"missing" file was the source scene file been rendered. The error appens
near the end of the parsing process.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

>> While running PovRay 3.7/39 (but I got the same pb with earlier releases)
>> through an INI script on long (several hundreds) sequences of images, after some
>> time, PovRay stop, and I get a message like the subject of this post. The path
>> and name of the supposedly missing file, displayed in the message window, are
>> absolutely correct. If I restart the script, restricted to the end of the
>> sequence, things go on for a few steps, then block again. And so on. If I
>> restart PovRay, things go on for a large number of steps.
>> Is there some kind of pile, with an adjustable length ?
>> Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Q6600, 4Go memory, plenty of disk space.
>> Many thanks !
>> 43oasis
>
> Has your process ever worked? In your opening sentence you seem to be
> saying that you've had the same problem with previous releases? Does
> your process work on version 3.6 ... if so maybe this news group is
> where you need to be. If you're trying to debug a new process, perhaps
> one of the other news groups would be a better fit. Does your scene
> render fine on it's own? Maybe your INI file needs some work. A tiny bit
> more detail would be helpful.

Here, "after some time" means "after a number of frames". "number of
steps" stand for "number of frames".

As I said in my previous post.
Most of the time, the scene get parsed, THEN the error hit me.
The suposedly missing file is always the scene file currently been rendered.
Starting the animation from an ini file have no impact as the error can
appen with +kff100 on the command line.
It NEVER appens on the first frame but ALWAYS after some frames have
been successfully rendered, usualy less than 20 here.
It don't depend on the architecture of the machine used. (Windows XP
pro, AMD Athlon 1400MHz, 1Gb RAM, NO SSE support)
It appens using the ordinary and the SSE version.
In my case, the same animation was completed on version 3.6, a few years
ago... Revisiting some old scenes. So, it's not due to a new scene.
Also, in my case, it appened with previous versions of 3.7.
I almost never do animation of 100 frames or more.
It never appened to me with animations of less than 100 frames, but it
may be pure chance.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

>>> While running PovRay 3.7/39 (but I got the same pb with earlier
>>> releases)
>>> through an INI script on long (several hundreds) sequences of images,
>>> after some
>>> time, PovRay stop, and I get a message like the subject of this post.
>>> The path
>>> and name of the supposedly missing file, displayed in the message
>>> window, are
>>> absolutely correct. If I restart the script, restricted to the end of
>>> the
>>> sequence, things go on for a few steps, then block again. And so on.
>>> If I
>>> restart PovRay, things go on for a large number of steps.
>>> Is there some kind of pile, with an adjustable length ?
>>> Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Q6600, 4Go memory, plenty of disk
>>> space.
>>> Many thanks !
>>> 43oasis
>>
>> Has your process ever worked? In your opening sentence you seem to be
>> saying that you've had the same problem with previous releases? Does
>> your process work on version 3.6 ... if so maybe this news group is
>> where you need to be. If you're trying to debug a new process, perhaps
>> one of the other news groups would be a better fit. Does your scene
>> render fine on it's own? Maybe your INI file needs some work. A tiny bit
>> more detail would be helpful.
>>

> Here, "after some time" means "after a number of frames". "number of
> steps" stand for "number of frames".
>
> As I said in my previous post.
> Most of the time, the scene get parsed, THEN the error hit me.
> The suposedly missing file is always the scene file currently been
> rendered.
> Starting the animation from an ini file have no impact as the error can
> appen with +kff100 on the command line.
> It NEVER appens on the first frame but ALWAYS after some frames have
> been successfully rendered, usualy less than 20 here.
> It don't depend on the architecture of the machine used. (Windows XP
> pro, AMD Athlon 1400MHz, 1Gb RAM, NO SSE support)
> It appens using the ordinary and the SSE version.
> In my case, the same animation was completed on version 3.6, a few years
> ago... Revisiting some old scenes. So, it's not due to a new scene.
> Also, in my case, it appened with previous versions of 3.7.
> I almost never do animation of 100 frames or more.
> It never appened to me with animations of less than 100 frames, but it
> may be pure chance.
>

> Alain

ha-ha ... are there two of you now? I saw and unfamiliar user name and
thought I was directing traffic. You're and old hand at this and
certainly would have done your homework before asking for help, wasn't
trying to suggest otherwise ... just for the heck of it I had at the
docs and there didn't seem to be any mention of a 'limit' so I'm not
sure what to think ... acts like a pointer without a home (now that's a
wild guess)

Post a reply to this message