POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : BSP tweaking not necessary? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  BSP tweaking not necessary? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Mr
Subject: BSP tweaking not necessary?
Date: 2 Sep 2009 07:15:00
Message: <web.4a9e53a556ff48109d05baaf0@news.povray.org>
In some commercial renderer I'm using, tweaking the BSP size and depth for every
scene is key to getting reasonable render times. In Pov it seems to take care of
itself, from reading what I could find about it. That would be great, but does
it? Or would we benefit from even more acceleration if we tweak every time? if
so, with which parameters and with what tools or statistics to set them? (In
the renderer I talked about, I use the diagnostic modes showing some blue to
red false color dynamic for BSP "size" or "depth", one at a time).

Post a reply to this message

> In some commercial renderer I'm using, tweaking the BSP size and depth for every
> scene is key to getting reasonable render times. In Pov it seems to take care of
> itself, from reading what I could find about it. That would be great, but does
> it? Or would we benefit from even more acceleration if we tweak every time? if
> so, with which parameters and with what tools or statistics to set them? (In
> the renderer I talked about, I use the diagnostic modes showing some blue to
> red false color dynamic for BSP "size" or "depth", one at a time).

If you mean "binary space partitioning", POV-Ray 3.6.2 don't use it. It
use a simple bounding boxes testing protocol.

The 3.7 betas do, optionaly, use an octree structure invoked by the
"+bm2" switch. You can use it from the command line or from an .ini
file. It can accelerate the tracing. The depth is dynamicaly set at
parse time.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> The 3.7 betas do, optionaly, use an octree structure invoked by the
> "+bm2" switch. You can use it from the command line or from an .ini
> file. It can accelerate the tracing. The depth is dynamicaly set at
> parse time.
>

> Alain

Yes I did use it, and it did improve my render time. That's what I meant by "In
Pov it seems to take care of
itself"
I'm just wondering why they didn't do such autmatic tweak  in commercial
software. And wonder how much we can trust it to adapt to every scene?