POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : BSP tweaking not necessary? : Re: BSP tweaking not necessary? Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:50:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BSP tweaking not necessary?
From: Alain
Date: 2 Sep 2009 13:10:16
Message: <4a9ea6f8$1@news.povray.org>

> In some commercial renderer I'm using, tweaking the BSP size and depth for every
> scene is key to getting reasonable render times. In Pov it seems to take care of
> itself, from reading what I could find about it. That would be great, but does
> it? Or would we benefit from even more acceleration if we tweak every time? if
> so, with which parameters and with what tools or statistics to set them? (In
> the renderer I talked about, I use the diagnostic modes showing some blue to
> red false color dynamic for BSP "size" or "depth", one at a time).

If you mean "binary space partitioning", POV-Ray 3.6.2 don't use it. It
use a simple bounding boxes testing protocol.

The 3.7 betas do, optionaly, use an octree structure invoked by the
"+bm2" switch. You can use it from the command line or from an .ini
file. It can accelerate the tracing. The depth is dynamicaly set at
parse time.

Alain