POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:39:50 EDT (-0400)
  Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 (Message 21 to 30 of 104)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
Date: 29 Aug 2009 18:38:05
Message: <4a99adcd$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>   Btw, if I load a jpeg image as an image_map to an object with diffuse 0
> and ambient 1, the image will look way too bright and washed out, completely
> different than when I look at the image with any other program.
>
>   If I write an "assumed_gamma 2.2" in the global_settings block, pov3.7
> will warn me, but now the image will look correct.
>
>   So what is the *proper* way to tell pov3.7 how it should assume colors
> (eg. in image maps) to be gamma-corrected?

I just went back to this post, to find that I misunderstood.

Yes, POV-Ray /definitely/ has a problem with gamma of input files. PNG
files with a gAMA chunk are allegedly safe, and HDR files as well from
my experience (OpenEXR probably too), but just about everything else is
currently bogus, due to POV-Ray not taking into account any color
management metadata.

My suggestion would be to (A) fix the standard handling to respect at
least standard color profiles, and (B) provide a means to override the
assumed gamma pre-correction on a per-file basis.

Post a reply to this message

> My suggestion would be to (A) fix the standard handling to respect at
> least standard color profiles, and (B) provide a means to override the
> assumed gamma pre-correction on a per-file basis.

  Also POV-Ray 3.7 displaying the image on screen with one gamma setting
(with Display_Gamma is set) and writing the file with a completely different
gamma setting is a problem.

  Btw, a Display_Gamma of 1.0 produces (on screen) an image which is
basically identical to what POV-Ray 3.6 produces, all image_maps look
correct, etc. Is there a reason why it cannot be the default?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message