POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 18:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: Warp
Date: 30 Aug 2009 15:28:09
Message: <4a9ad2c9@news.povray.org>
> Warp schrieb:
> >   It is a problem when POV-Ray ignores the File_Gamma setting, as seems to
> > be currently the case.

> No, it doesn't. It just affects file output in a way different from what
> you seem to expect.

  In fact, it seems that POV-Ray is not ignoring the File_Gamma setting,
as it apparently affects the pixels of the resulting PNG image. However,
it seems that the incorrect gamma metadata setting is written to the PNG
file so that when it's viewed with some program (which obeys that setting),
it looks different from what POV-Ray itself showed on screen (with
Display_Gamma being set to 1.0).

  If the gamma metadata is removed from the PNG file (eg. by converting it
to another format, ignoring that gamma setting), then it shows ok.

> It's not an /output/ problem - it's an /input/ problem.

  You didn't ask for the example, but I went ahead and created one anyways:

http://warp.povusers.org/pov_imagemap_test/

  Note that the page has a background color of #7F7F7F and the rendered
image a background color of 0.5.

  Please explain to me, once again, why the default output of POV-Ray 3.7
beta is the correct one and the others are incorrect.

--
                                                          - Warp