POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 (Message 101 to 104 of 104)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
Date: 8 Sep 2009 13:38:31
Message: <4aa69696@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If I want a program to write the value 12345 to a file, then I expect
> the program to write 12345 to the file, not some other value. Why should
> the program try to guess what I "really want"?
>
>   One reason can be that I want to match exactly the image pixel values
>   with
> HTML colors. If I want the color scheme of an image to match, for example,
> the background color of a HTML page, I should be able to do that.

Wouldn't the browser do gamma correction according to the gAMA chunk anyway?

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 8 Sep 2009 13:53:01
Message: <4aa699fd@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez schrieb:
>> I have an LCD monitor, and the checkerboard looked *green*. Quite
>> strange.
>
> Do you use an analog or digital connection?

Analog, unfortunately. My graphics card has a DVI connector but my monitor
doesn't.

Post a reply to this message

>>   One reason can be that I want to match exactly the image pixel values
>>   with
>> HTML colors. If I want the color scheme of an image to match, for example,
>> the background color of a HTML page, I should be able to do that.
>
> Wouldn't the browser do gamma correction according to the gAMA chunk anyway?

Yes, but Warp's problem was that HTML "50% grey" (#7F7F7F) is /not/
POV.Ray 0.5 grey.

Browser gamma correction will make sure POV-Ray 0.5 grey is properly
converted to 50% /brightness/, but HTML "50% grey" is 50% /voltage/ (at
the VGA output of a typical PC), equaling 22% brightness.

Post a reply to this message