POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Future : a "portable" version? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  Future : a "portable" version? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Rocco
Subject: Future : a "portable" version?
Date: 29 Jun 2009 15:15:01
Message: <web.4a49118e16a204758e940c180@news.povray.org>
Hi! I see some changes in the way Povray beta is installed on Windows. First,
the destination is the "Document and settings", not "Program files", which is
more logical for programs.

Second, the data files are stored on "My Documents", this is a good choice, but
breaks the unofficial Povray versions such as Megapov : it tries to get the
files in "Program files". In my opinion, I don't like too much when software
has an installer and restrict the choice. And I'm sure there are other people
complaining about it. Of course, an automated installer is a good option for
beginners, a couple of clicks and the software is ready, with shortcuts and so
on...

Will it be a big difficulty to make a "portable" version of Povray? In a zip
file for example.

In the meantime, I share a trick to install a Povray beta using the MSI
installer but place the Povray beta in the "c:\program files\" directory.

I use "Sandboxie", which is a very helpful program to make tests. It allows you
to run a setup in a kind of "virtual machine" leaving the operating system
intact.

1) Run the msi package in your sandbox.
2) Browse to C:\Sandbox\<username>\DefaultBox\user\current\Application
Data\POV-Ray
3) Copy the v3.7 to C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows v3.62\beta for example
4) Browse to C:\Sandbox\<username>\DefaultBox\user\current\<My
documents>\POV-Ray and copy the directory v3.7 in the same directory in your
documents.

Now, if you launch Povray from Program files, it will infer a new path and you
should be able to render correctly. You have made a semi-portable version of
beta 3.7 (semi-portable because you still need a 3.6 setup). I'm sure you can
even make a portable version of Povray 3.6 but I haven't tried this.

And for Megapov, just copy the required files in C:\program files\POV_Ray... and
it should be able to render well.

Post a reply to this message

> In the meantime, I share a trick to install a Povray beta using the MSI
> installer but place the Povray beta in the "c:\program files\" directory.

Here's another trick: Select the "Install for all users"
option in the installer ;) This will install to program files
instead of the user space (the latter method is required to
support non-administrator installs under Vista, although
I still feel it should not be default).

Post a reply to this message

> Hi! I see some changes in the way Povray beta is installed on Windows. First,
> the destination is the "Document and settings", not "Program files", which is
> more logical for programs.
>
> Second, the data files are stored on "My Documents", this is a good choice, but
> breaks the unofficial Povray versions such as Megapov : it tries to get the
> files in "Program files". In my opinion, I don't like too much when software
> has an installer and restrict the choice. And I'm sure there are other people
> complaining about it. Of course, an automated installer is a good option for
> beginners, a couple of clicks and the software is ready, with shortcuts and so
> on...
>
> Will it be a big difficulty to make a "portable" version of Povray? In a zip
> file for example.
>
> In the meantime, I share a trick to install a Povray beta using the MSI
> installer but place the Povray beta in the "c:\program files\" directory.
It don't work if you are using Vista.

> I use "Sandboxie", which is a very helpful program to make tests. It allows you
> to run a setup in a kind of "virtual machine" leaving the operating system
> intact.
>
> 1) Run the msi package in your sandbox.
> 2) Browse to C:\Sandbox\<username>\DefaultBox\user\current\Application
> Data\POV-Ray
> 3) Copy the v3.7 to C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows v3.62\beta for example
> 4) Browse to C:\Sandbox\<username>\DefaultBox\user\current\<My
> documents>\POV-Ray and copy the directory v3.7 in the same directory in your
> documents.
>
> Now, if you launch Povray from Program files, it will infer a new path and you
> should be able to render correctly. You have made a semi-portable version of
> beta 3.7 (semi-portable because you still need a 3.6 setup). I'm sure you can
> even make a portable version of Povray 3.6 but I haven't tried this.
>
> And for Megapov, just copy the required files in C:\program files\POV_Ray... and
> it should be able to render well.

The change in the install directory under windows is because, under
Vista, programms are NOT allowed to alter any file in the programm files
folder. POV-Ray need to change one of it's .ini files.
The actual change have been made expressly to circumvent that "feature".

You can install megapov in a subdirectory of the main POV-Ray directory
indtead of accepting it's default location.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Will it be a big difficulty to make a "portable" version of Povray? In a zip
> file for example.

Once 3.7 is final, you'll be able to obtain the sources and build it how
you see fit.  That's even more portable than your idea of a portable
Windows binary :)

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message