POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Future : a "portable" version? : Re: Future : a "portable" version? Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:12:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future : a "portable" version?
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jul 2009 12:01:28
Message: <4a4cd9d8$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Would it work if you just put the .ini file in the user space, and not
> the whole program?

You could either put the ini file under "all users" documents (aka
"public"), or you could copy it from ProgramFiles into Documents the first
time it was run by a given user, or (I don't know Vista's quirks, but maybe
worth a try) have the installer override the security ACL on the files in
ProgramFile it wants to write to, or store the ini files in \ProgramData.

That said, I suspect the problem is more that the people working on it
simply haven't taken the time to fix the incompatibilities and build a new
installer, more than it is they don't know what needs to be done. :-) But it
would seem that trying a new ACL would be an easy thing to test, at least.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western