POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : hrmgrblRADIOSITYgrmblgrr3.6rmbl3.7BETAumblgrrrrrr.... Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:33:59 EDT (-0400)
  hrmgrblRADIOSITYgrmblgrr3.6rmbl3.7BETAumblgrrrrrr.... (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: clipka
Subject: hrmgrblRADIOSITYgrmblgrr3.6rmbl3.7BETAumblgrrrrrr....
Date: 6 Apr 2009 13:25:00
Message: <web.49da3ae44aea197b2b82b7c80@news.povray.org>
Did I ever mention that I *hate* POV 3.6 radiosity?

Obviously it's the reference implementation POV 3.7 performance will be measured
against.

Less obviously, it's cheating like hell.

For instance, at higher radiosity recursion depths, it simply "files" the
radiosity samples under the wrong size in the octree, effectively "chopping"
its area of influence from spherical (with a nice smooth gradient inward) to
the octree node's cubic bounds (with a harsh "cutoff"). If we could see the
scene as it "looks" at such recursion depths, it would probably appear awfully
blocky and chunky.

The code suggests that this was probably not done deliberately: It may well have
been just another blunder, that just happens to speed things up at moderate
recursion depths, because octree lookups will produce a smaller fraction of
samples that turn out to be too far away and just waste time; at even higher
depths, however, it gets so extreme that octree lookup returns only a small
fraction of samples that would otherwise be re-used.

Either way here I am, brooding over POV 3.7 radiosity performance, and coming to
the conclusion that there's only one way to bring it back anywhere near what
people have become accustomed to with 3.6:

Cheat. Like hell.

Post a reply to this message

> Did I ever mention that I *hate* POV 3.6 radiosity?
>
> Obviously it's the reference implementation POV 3.7 performance will be measured
> against.
>
> Less obviously, it's cheating like hell.
>
> For instance, at higher radiosity recursion depths, it simply "files" the
> radiosity samples under the wrong size in the octree, effectively "chopping"
> its area of influence from spherical (with a nice smooth gradient inward) to
> the octree node's cubic bounds (with a harsh "cutoff"). If we could see the
> scene as it "looks" at such recursion depths, it would probably appear awfully
> blocky and chunky.
>
> The code suggests that this was probably not done deliberately: It may well have
> been just another blunder, that just happens to speed things up at moderate
> recursion depths, because octree lookups will produce a smaller fraction of
> samples that turn out to be too far away and just waste time; at even higher
> depths, however, it gets so extreme that octree lookup returns only a small
> fraction of samples that would otherwise be re-used.
>
> Either way here I am, brooding over POV 3.7 radiosity performance, and coming to
> the conclusion that there's only one way to bring it back anywhere near what
> people have become accustomed to with 3.6:
>
> Cheat. Like hell.

I don't want to sound like a heretic...

It seems to me that there are still speed problems with
recursion_limit > 1.

My small idea: Is possible insert a keyword like *method* (as in "media") to
choose between radiosity_type_3.6 and radiosity_type_clipka (under
developement)?

Only a simple idea, if it is not too difficult to implement.
Clipka, a huge thank you for your efforts on the radiosity code.

--
Carlo

Post a reply to this message