POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Strange results from min_extent and max_extent Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:39:30 EDT (-0400)
  Strange results from min_extent and max_extent (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Strange results from min_extent and max_extent
Date: 17 Feb 2019 03:50:05
Message: <5c69203d$1@news.povray.org>
Using povray-3.8.0-alpha.10013324-av645-Win64

When using:

#local Object=
difference {
   sphere {<0,0,0>, 6.0}
   disc {<0,0,0>, y, 6.1}
}
//----------------------------------------
#declare Min = min_extent(Object);
#declare Max = max_extent(Object);
#debug concat("\n  min_extent Object: <",vstr(3, Min, ", ", 0,3),">\n")
#debug concat("  max_extent Object: <",vstr(3, Max, ", ", 0,3),">\n\n")
//----------------------------------------

My intuition tells me that the results should be:
Min = <-6.000, 0.000, -6.000>
Max = < 6.000, 6.000,  6.000>

However, I get the following:
Min = <-6.000, -6.000, -6.000>
Max = < 6.000,  6.000,  6.000>

I never noticed this before while I extensively use these features. Is
this a bug or am I stupid?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

See also p.b.images and p.b.scene-files with same subject line.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Am 17.02.2019 um 09:50 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> Using povray-3.8.0-alpha.10013324-av645-Win64
>
> When using:
>
> #local Object=
> difference {
>    sphere {<0,0,0>, 6.0}
>    disc {<0,0,0>, y, 6.1}
> }
> //----------------------------------------
> #declare Min = min_extent(Object);
> #declare Max = max_extent(Object);
> #debug concat("\n  min_extent Object: <",vstr(3, Min, ", ", 0,3),">\n")
> #debug concat("  max_extent Object: <",vstr(3, Max, ", ", 0,3),">\n\n")
> //----------------------------------------
>
> My intuition tells me that the results should be:
> Min = <-6.000, 0.000, -6.000>
> Max = < 6.000, 6.000,  6.000>
>
> However, I get the following:
> Min = <-6.000, -6.000, -6.000>
> Max = < 6.000,  6.000,  6.000>
>
> I never noticed this before while I extensively use these features. Is
> this a bug or am I stupid?

The latter. (Hey, you asked a straightforward question, so you deserve a
straightforward answer :))

You shouldn't be using `disc` to cut away a plane. The fact that it
works is nothing more than a quirk, and the person who made it so should
be tarred and feathered. Use straightforward `plane` instead.

A couple of things to note in this context:

- The `min_extent` and `max_extent` functions are only guaranteed to
provide _bounds_ for the extent of the object. The actual extent may be
smaller. Considerably smaller in some cases.

- As a matter of fact `min_extent` and `max_extent` give you the extent
of the object's _bounding box_.

- `difference` is actually implemented as an intersection, with all
children except the first being inverted.

- The bounding box of an intersection is computed as the intersection of
the children's bounding boxes.

- Inverted objects are typically infinite

- Infinite objects have an infinite bounding box.

- The plane gets special treatment in the computation of intersection
bounding boxes because it is too useful as a cutting tool.

Post a reply to this message

>> I never noticed this before while I extensively use these features. Is
>> this a bug or am I stupid?
>
> The latter. (Hey, you asked a straightforward question, so you deserve a
> straightforward answer :))

I knew I had this coming of course, so you are welcome ;-)

> You shouldn't be using `disc` to cut away a plane. The fact that it
> works is nothing more than a quirk, and the person who made it so should
> be tarred and feathered. Use straightforward `plane` instead.

Yes, I was aware of the fact that disc is a problem child, but being
stupid of course...

> A couple of things to note in this context:
>
> - The `min_extent` and `max_extent` functions are only guaranteed to
> provide _bounds_ for the extent of the object. The actual extent may be
> smaller. Considerably smaller in some cases.
>
> - As a matter of fact `min_extent` and `max_extent` give you the extent
> of the object's _bounding box_.
>
> - `difference` is actually implemented as an intersection, with all
> children except the first being inverted.

OK. So, from the above, why is the difference sphere/box (see my example
image in p.b.i and p.b.s-f) calculating a min_extent.y location
corresponding to the base of the sphere? I do not grasp that really.

> - The bounding box of an intersection is computed as the intersection of
> the children's bounding boxes.

That is pretty straightforward.

> - Inverted objects are typically infinite
>
> - Infinite objects have an infinite bounding box.

Hmmm... ok. That makes sense and shows what can go wrong...

> - The plane gets special treatment in the computation of intersection
> bounding boxes because it is too useful as a cutting tool.

Yes, I fully agree with that one!

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message