POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Strange results from min_extent and max_extent : Re: Strange results from min_extent and max_extent Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:58:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange results from min_extent and max_extent
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Feb 2019 02:31:55
Message: <5c6a5f6b$1@news.povray.org>
On 17-2-2019 21:14, clipka wrote:

>> I never noticed this before while I extensively use these features. Is
>> this a bug or am I stupid?
>
> The latter. (Hey, you asked a straightforward question, so you deserve a
> straightforward answer :))

I knew I had this coming of course, so you are welcome ;-)

> You shouldn't be using `disc` to cut away a plane. The fact that it
> works is nothing more than a quirk, and the person who made it so should
> be tarred and feathered. Use straightforward `plane` instead.

Yes, I was aware of the fact that disc is a problem child, but being
stupid of course...

> A couple of things to note in this context:
>
> - The `min_extent` and `max_extent` functions are only guaranteed to
> provide _bounds_ for the extent of the object. The actual extent may be
> smaller. Considerably smaller in some cases.
>
> - As a matter of fact `min_extent` and `max_extent` give you the extent
> of the object's _bounding box_.
>
> - `difference` is actually implemented as an intersection, with all
> children except the first being inverted.

OK. So, from the above, why is the difference sphere/box (see my example
image in p.b.i and p.b.s-f) calculating a min_extent.y location
corresponding to the base of the sphere? I do not grasp that really.

> - The bounding box of an intersection is computed as the intersection of
> the children's bounding boxes.

That is pretty straightforward.

> - Inverted objects are typically infinite
>
> - Infinite objects have an infinite bounding box.

Hmmm... ok. That makes sense and shows what can go wrong...

> - The plane gets special treatment in the computation of intersection
> bounding boxes because it is too useful as a cutting tool.

Yes, I fully agree with that one!

--
Thomas