POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 Server Time
1 May 2024 02:41:18 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 (Message 21 to 30 of 34)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: omniverse
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209
Date: 29 Sep 2017 00:35:01
Message: <web.59cdcd62d17574579c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Maybe you got a broken download.

Well, this seemed to be after trying the 3.8 alpha v499 and I'm not going to try
that again yet. I don't think it began with the first alpha.

Something probably going on with the Windows Registry entries, even before that,
due to my installing so many versions of POV-Ray. Somehow able to run the
different version okay, except v3.5 and maybe MegaPOV. I considered them shelved
for the time being until I could find a fix (MegaPOV renders okay again, too,
while v3.5 remains uninstalled).

To recap on that again, as Clipka said, there should be a POV-Ray.Scene key in
the HKCR section (not just within the .pov key), and all I have in HKCR is .pov
and povfile which is a result of version 3.6 installation (or so it seems).

Strange to me that version 3.7.0.0 is okay this way after the restore point from
last week. But then, nothing was wrong until 3.8 alpha.

And now I've found a key in the registry that contains both povfile and
POV-Ray.Scene, yet both have _.pov appended to them at:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

Another mention of those without the _.pov at:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pov\OpenWithProgids

Needless to say I'm good at making a mess of things even without potential
program bugs!

I'm considering going the route of uninstalling 3.6, 3.7.1-beta9, 3.7.1-rc and
3.7.0.0 (because I put it into renamed folder 3.70) then just installing 3.7.0.0
again.

Does any of this help explain what might have happened?

Could pvengine64.exe of 3.8 alpha alone do anything to cause this?
Or would the editor need a reinstall simply from putting 3.8 alpha in? Makes no
sense to me anyway.

Post a reply to this message

Am 29.09.2017 um 06:34 schrieb omniverse:

> To recap on that again, as Clipka said, there should be a POV-Ray.Scene key in
> the HKCR section (not just within the .pov key), and all I have in HKCR is .pov
> and povfile which is a result of version 3.6 installation (or so it seems).

There's nothing wrong with that: POV-Ray 3.6 and earlier registered the
`.pov` file type as `povfile`, while POV-Ray 3.7 and later renamed that
to `POV-Ray.Scene`. Different monikers, same mechanism.

> Does any of this help explain what might have happened?
>
> Could pvengine64.exe of 3.8 alpha alone do anything to cause this?
> Or would the editor need a reinstall simply from putting 3.8 alpha in? Makes no
> sense to me anyway.

Makes no sense to me either.

If you run into the issue again, please let us know.

Post a reply to this message