POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Area_light pecularty Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:04:57 EDT (-0400)
  Area_light pecularty (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Alain
Subject: Area_light pecularty
Date: 8 Mar 2013 17:40:21
Message: <513a68d5$1@news.povray.org>
Out of curiosity, I made a scene to show the array of elementary lights
in an area_light and found something that I find surprising:
The outermost elements seem to be about half as bright as the rest, and
the corner ones dimer still at maybe 1 fourth intensity.

I'm wondering if it's intentional or some oversight.

Here my test scene:
#version 3.7;
global_settings {
   assumed_gamma 1
}

plane{-z, -10 pigment{ rgb 1}finish{brilliance 0} }
//brilliance 0 so that the angle of incidence of
//the light have no effect.

disc{0,z,10000,0.03}
#declare W=11;
#declare N=17;
camera{orthographic location 1*z look_at z up W/2+1.2 right W/2+1.2}
light_source{-10*z rgb<1,0,1>*pow(N,2) area_light W*x W*y N N circular }

light_source{-10*z rgb<0,1,0>*pow(N,2) area_light W*x W*y N N }

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Out of curiosity, I made a scene to show the array of elementary lights
> in an area_light and found something that I find surprising:
> The outermost elements seem to be about half as bright as the rest, and
> the corner ones dimer still at maybe 1 fourth intensity.
>
> I'm wondering if it's intentional or some oversight.
>
> Here my test scene:

Apparently it isn't:

"line 13: Parse Error: Camera location and look_at point must be different."

Also the up & right camera parameters look peculiar in that they're
scalars rather than vectors.

Post a reply to this message

>> Out of curiosity, I made a scene to show the array of elementary lights
>> in an area_light and found something that I find surprising:
>> The outermost elements seem to be about half as bright as the rest, and
>> the corner ones dimer still at maybe 1 fourth intensity.
>>
>> I'm wondering if it's intentional or some oversight.
>>
>> Here my test scene:
>
> Apparently it isn't:
>
> "line 13: Parse Error: Camera location and look_at point must be
> different."
>
> Also the up & right camera parameters look peculiar in that they're
> scalars rather than vectors.

Chould be:
look_at 2*z up (W/2+1.2)*y right (W/2+1.2)*x

Post a reply to this message