POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Area_light pecularty : Re: Area_light pecularty Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area_light pecularty
From: clipka
Date: 10 Mar 2013 04:47:06
Message: <513c488a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.03.2013 20:46, schrieb Alain:
> Le 2013-03-08 21:40, clipka a écrit :
>> Am 08.03.2013 23:40, schrieb Alain:
>>> Out of curiosity, I made a scene to show the array of elementary lights
>>> in an area_light and found something that I find surprising:
>>> The outermost elements seem to be about half as bright as the rest, and
>>> the corner ones dimer still at maybe 1 fourth intensity.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if it's intentional or some oversight.

This is intentional, and especially important for adaptive area lights:
Think of an NxM area light not as an array of NxM tiles with "lightlets"
at their centers, but as an array of (N-1)x(M-1) tiles with "lightlets"
at their corners: Each "lightlet" then represents a quarter of each tile
that touches it, which adds up to 4/4 tiles for the inner "lightlets",
but only 2/4 or 1/4 tiles for those at the perimeter.

Thanks for your inquisitiveness nonetheless, as during investigation I
found a problem with circular area lights, which are not as homogenous
as they should be (you might already have noticed this, too).