POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Parser Statistics anomaly Server Time
16 May 2024 09:04:16 EDT (-0400)
  Parser Statistics anomaly (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: James Holsenback
Subject: Re: Parser Statistics anomaly
Date: 6 Dec 2012 16:16:54
Message: <50c10b46$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/06/2012 03:44 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 06.12.2012 19:48, schrieb James Holsenback:
>> On 12/06/2012 01:15 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>> Le 06/12/2012 17:39, James Holsenback nous fit lire :

>>> I don't play... I cheat & I looked at the code.
>>> In parse.cpp, BOUNDS_VOLUME is an inline function from bbox.h which
>>> compute the volume of the bounding box (simple product of height, width
>>> & depth).
>>> INFINITE_VOLUME is the limit to set the infinite flag.
>>> The value of INFINITE_VOLUME is BOUND_HUGE. (parse.cpp)
>>> The value of BOUND_HUGE is 2.0e+10 (configbackend.h)
>>>
>>> So, the sphere is to become finite when the box (true cube) is to have a
>>> volume of 2.0e+10 or less. That's for a side of 2714.4176 (cubic root of
>>> 2.0e+10), so for a radius of 1357.2088
>>
>> Yes ... obviously the program is catching something, I guess I'm
>> challenging /what/ it's catching. Again I'm encouraging you to /play/
>> around with the scaling in my example and note /when/ it starts calling
>> the object finite ;-)
>
> So, what are the results of /your/ playing around that makes you think
> we should bother to try it as well?

LOL ... starting with the simple scene it does not report finite until
scale is set to 1000

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 7 Dec 2012 00:20:33
Message: <50c17ca1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.12.2012 22:16, schrieb James Holsenback:

> LOL ... starting with the simple scene it does not report finite until
> scale is set to 1000

 From the math, the threshold should be between 1357 and 1358 if the
sphere is just transformed and/or rotated. (If a rotation is applied via
an arbitrary matrix, the threshold might be as low as 783 to 784 in
extreme cases.)

An infinite object is not excluded from bounding /per se/, but does not
benefit from /hierarchical/ bounding.

(Fun fact: Spheres have such a simple math that they skip bounding box
testing entirely, so they only benefit from hierarchical bounding at all.)

Post a reply to this message

> Am 06.12.2012 22:16, schrieb James Holsenback:
>
>> LOL ... starting with the simple scene it does not report finite until
>> scale is set to 1000
>
>  From the math, the threshold should be between 1357 and 1358 if the
> sphere is just transformed and/or rotated. (If a rotation is applied via
> an arbitrary matrix, the threshold might be as low as 783 to 784 in
> extreme cases.)
>
> An infinite object is not excluded from bounding /per se/, but does not
> benefit from /hierarchical/ bounding.
>
> (Fun fact: Spheres have such a simple math that they skip bounding box
> testing entirely, so they only benefit from hierarchical bounding at all.)

Seems that everyone is OK with this ... I don't recall this limitation
in the past. Could this be side-effect of a recent change?

Post a reply to this message

Am 07.12.2012 12:34, schrieb James Holsenback:
> On 12/07/2012 12:20 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 06.12.2012 22:16, schrieb James Holsenback:
>>
>>> LOL ... starting with the simple scene it does not report finite until
>>> scale is set to 1000
>
> Seems that everyone is OK with this ... I don't recall this limitation
> in the past. Could this be side-effect of a recent change?

Nothing truly recent, that's for sure. Did you test 3.6 behaviour?

Post a reply to this message

On 7-12-2012 12:34, James Holsenback wrote:
> Seems that everyone is OK with this ... I don't recall this limitation
> in the past. Could this be side-effect of a recent change?

I feel a bit concerned though. I did not test your code, but what does
it mean for the render?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message