POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Photons not working as expected? Server Time
30 Apr 2024 06:48:44 EDT (-0400)
  Photons not working as expected? (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: David
Subject: Photons not working as expected?
Date: 20 Mar 2012 10:03:41
Message: <4f688e3d$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Not getting the expected results from using photons, for example
"scenes\advanced\optics.pov" and a couple of my own.

Has something changed?

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Subject: Re: Photons not working as expected?
Date: 20 Mar 2012 13:43:22
Message: <4f68c1ba$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/20/2012 10:03 AM, David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not getting the expected results from using photons, for example
> "scenes\advanced\optics.pov" and a couple of my own.
>
> Has something changed?

as compared to what version ... if you were using v3.6 there are a
number of changes that might be the reason. A little more info would be
helpful ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Quietman
Date: 21 Mar 2012 08:00:38
Message: <4f69c2e6$1@news.povray.org>
"James Holsenback" <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote in message
> On 03/20/2012 10:03 AM, David wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not getting the expected results from using photons, for example
>> "scenes\advanced\optics.pov" and a couple of my own.
>>
>> Has something changed?
>>

> as compared to what version ... if you were using v3.6 there are a number
> of changes that might be the reason. A little more info would be helpful
> ;-)

POV Ray 3.7 RC5, Windows 7 64bit

Some of the the light beams in optics.pov are missing. Tested on Windows 7
64 and Ubuntu 11.10 64 and 32 bit versions.

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Date: 21 Mar 2012 10:40:19
Message: <4f69e853$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/21/2012 08:00 AM, Quietman wrote:

> "James Holsenback" <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote in message
>> On 03/20/2012 10:03 AM, David wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Not getting the expected results from using photons, for example
>>> "scenes\advanced\optics.pov" and a couple of my own.
>>>
>>> Has something changed?
>>>

>> as compared to what version ... if you were using v3.6 there are a
>> number of changes that might be the reason. A little more info would
>> be helpful ;-)
>
> POV Ray 3.7 RC5, Windows 7 64bit
>
> Some of the the light beams in optics.pov are missing. Tested on Windows
> 7 64 and Ubuntu 11.10 64 and 32 bit versions.

I did a little trouble-shooting ... swapped (mirror and lenses) textures
around and indeed there seems to be somethings that's not correct. I
don't think it's the objects or textures, so I started playing the
photon global settings and saw slightly different results. Admittedly
I'm weak when it comes to photons, but /think/ that's where the problem
is ... maybe someone a bit stronger on this topic could lend a hand.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Mar 2012 10:53:41
Message: <4f69eb75$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/03/2012 2:40 PM, James Holsenback wrote:
> I did a little trouble-shooting ... swapped (mirror and lenses) textures
> around and indeed there seems to be somethings that's not correct. I
> don't think it's the objects or textures, so I started playing the
> photon global settings and saw slightly different results. Admittedly
> I'm weak when it comes to photons, but /think/ that's where the problem
> is ... maybe someone a bit stronger on this topic could lend a hand.

I looked at it too. It works with RC3 but not with RC4 & 5. Even with
version 3.6

Over to Clipa

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Date: 21 Mar 2012 11:23:54
Message: <4f69f28a$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/21/2012 10:53 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 21/03/2012 2:40 PM, James Holsenback wrote:
>> I did a little trouble-shooting ... swapped (mirror and lenses) textures
>> around and indeed there seems to be somethings that's not correct. I
>> don't think it's the objects or textures, so I started playing the
>> photon global settings and saw slightly different results. Admittedly
>> I'm weak when it comes to photons, but /think/ that's where the problem
>> is ... maybe someone a bit stronger on this topic could lend a hand.
>
> I looked at it too. It works with RC3 but not with RC4 & 5. Even with
> version 3.6
>
> Over to Clipa

Thanks Stephen ... that narrows it down a bit. I looked in revision
control and didn't see anything photon related, so perhaps that
eliminates the obvious. At the very least I think we've proven that
something is fishy. I'm going to submit a bug report.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Mar 2012 11:47:03
Message: <4f69f7f7$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/03/2012 3:23 PM, James Holsenback wrote:
> Thanks Stephen ... that narrows it down a bit. I looked in revision
> control and didn't see anything photon related, so perhaps that
> eliminates the obvious. At the very least I think we've proven that
> something is fishy. I'm going to submit a bug report.

As an aside Jim, I tried to look up "SSLT" in the index of the help
documents. Nothing was found, I had to look up "subsurface". Maybe an
additional entry in the index would be useful.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 21 Mar 2012 12:00:21
Message: <4f69fb15$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.03.2012 15:53, schrieb Stephen:

> Over to Clipa

Who's that? :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Date: 21 Mar 2012 12:04:10
Message: <4f69fbfa$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/21/2012 11:47 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 21/03/2012 3:23 PM, James Holsenback wrote:
>> Thanks Stephen ... that narrows it down a bit. I looked in revision
>> control and didn't see anything photon related, so perhaps that
>> eliminates the obvious. At the very least I think we've proven that
>> something is fishy. I'm going to submit a bug report.
>
> As an aside Jim, I tried to look up "SSLT" in the index of the help
> documents. Nothing was found, I had to look up "subsurface". Maybe an
> additional entry in the index would be useful.

yep ... good idea

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Mar 2012 12:41:05
Message: <4f6a04a1$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/03/2012 4:00 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 21.03.2012 15:53, schrieb Stephen:
>
>> Over to Clipa
>
> Who's that? :-P

Who ever he wants to be. (Sorry kkkkkk)

It kooks to ke kat khoton reflektions are not showing uk. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen