POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma in beta 35a Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:58:54 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma in beta 35a (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: FlyerX
Subject: Gamma in beta 35a
Date: 18 Jan 2010 17:16:34
Message: <4b54ddc2$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

After using 3.6 since release I have just started to play with POV-Ray
3.7 beta35a in Windows XP SP3. After testing and reading the release
notes I found some behavior that maybe I just do not understand.

Does the display_gamma setting modify the output image at all? The
rendered image in POV-Ray looks fine but if I view it in another
program, such as Gimp, IrfanView or Paint.net, its either too bright or
too dark. No matter what value I put for display_gamma the image is
always the same although it changes in the POV-Ray render window. I
tried all the export formats with the same results. I kept file_gamma as
1.0 and did not use assumed_gamma.

So with POV-Ray 3.7 do I have to gamma correct all the renders
separately in another program? I understand that baking the gamma into
the image may be bad in terms of portability but if the setting is not
read by some viewers it may be nice if it could optionally be baked in.

thanks,

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message