POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : inside() doesn't accept solid meshes Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:01:40 EDT (-0400)
  inside() doesn't accept solid meshes (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Warp
Subject: inside() doesn't accept solid meshes
Date: 28 Aug 2009 15:59:18
Message: <4a983716@news.povray.org>
It seems that inside() function doesn't accept a mesh as the object, even
if it has inside_vector defined. This is so in both povray 3.6 and 3.7. Is
there any reason for this? I think it would be useful if it was supported.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   It seems that inside() function doesn't accept a mesh as the object, even
> if it has inside_vector defined. This is so in both povray 3.6 and 3.7. Is
> there any reason for this? I think it would be useful if it was supported.

You probably already know this, and it might not even help you, but as a
workaround you can make the mesh into an object pattern and test it
using eval_pigment(). Or you can turn the object pattern into a function
and test it directly that way. It might even be faster than using
eval_pigment().

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> You probably already know this, and it might not even help you, but as a
> workaround you can make the mesh into an object pattern and test it
> using eval_pigment(). Or you can turn the object pattern into a function
> and test it directly that way. It might even be faster than using
> eval_pigment().

... or (untested) wrap it in a union all by itself?

Post a reply to this message

> > You probably already know this, and it might not even help you, but as a
> > workaround you can make the mesh into an object pattern and test it
> > using eval_pigment(). Or you can turn the object pattern into a function
> > and test it directly that way. It might even be faster than using
> > eval_pigment().

> ... or (untested) wrap it in a union all by itself?

  Putting it inside a union doesn't work, but the object pattern trick
works. Clearly there's no technical reason to forbid solid meshes as the
parameter for inside(), so it's probably just an oversight. Maybe this could
be fixed?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Putting it inside a union doesn't work, but the object pattern trick
> works. Clearly there's no technical reason to forbid solid meshes as the
> parameter for inside(), so it's probably just an oversight. Maybe this could
> be fixed?

I bet so.