POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : beta 32 - buglist Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:45:23 EDT (-0400)
  beta 32 - buglist (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Tim Attwood
Subject: beta 32 - buglist
Date: 5 Apr 2009 19:02:44
Message: <49d93894@news.povray.org>
beta32 bugs
In windows versions the controls for the render window are non-functional.
(Keep above main, Get focus on creation, and Hide when minimized)
Using facets as a controlling pattern for a normal map results in an
unspecified fatal error, this should be caught at parse time to give a
specific error.
Malformed nested #declares are not caught at parse time, instead they can
terminate inside following control structures, causing some objects not to
render.
Overlapping partially transparent objects can result in speckled shadows.
Rays cast at coincident surfaces should return one of the two textures,
and not "leak" untextured rays.
Texture maps containing reflective textures may cause an exception and
full crash, w/ optional dump.
Partial transparency can cause blocky (32x32) blotches in transparent
regions.
Array.inc and subsurface.pov are in read only mode.
In Vista (x64) the POV (x64) installer fails to ask for admin privleges,
so the program files end up in
C:\Users\%name%\AppData\Roaming\POV-Ray.
After getting install privleges they should end up in
C:\Program Files\POV-Ray
The modifiable files end up in C:\Users\%name%\Documents\POV-Ray
as intended. It's usable this way, just unexpected.

Post a reply to this message

> In windows versions the controls for the render window are non-functional.
> (Keep above main, Get focus on creation, and Hide when minimized)
Oops, that's 3.6 not Beta.

Post a reply to this message

"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] anti-spamcomcastnet> wrote:
> > In windows versions the controls for the render window are non-functional.
> > (Keep above main, Get focus on creation, and Hide when minimized)
> Oops, that's 3.6 not Beta.

My 3.6 works fine - I just tested them.  It's a self-compiled version but IIRC
I'm using the original editor dll.
Charles

Post a reply to this message

>> > In windows versions the controls for the render window are
>> > non-functional.
>> > (Keep above main, Get focus on creation, and Hide when minimized)
>> Oops, that's 3.6 not Beta.
>
> My 3.6 works fine - I just tested them.  It's a self-compiled version but
> IIRC
> I'm using the original editor dll.
> Charles

Hmm, I did observe this today, hmm let me check...
I think what is going on is that you need to exit for the changes to take
effect, so it can appear that the behavior isn't right.

Post a reply to this message

> In Vista (x64) the POV (x64) installer fails to ask for admin privleges,

Is this when you select "install for all users"?

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

Tim Attwood <tim### [at] anti-spamcomcastnet> wrote:
> Malformed nested #declares are not caught at parse time, instead they can
> terminate inside following control structures, causing some objects not to
> render.

  Can you give an example of this?

  The way povray parses SDL, especially things like nested declares, may not
always be completely intuitive, but not necessarily buggy.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Tim Attwood nous illumina en ce 2009-04-05 19:02 -->
> beta32 bugs
>
> In windows versions the controls for the render window are non-functional.
> (Keep above main, Get focus on creation, and Hide when minimized)
>
> Using facets as a controlling pattern for a normal map results in an
> unspecified fatal error, this should be caught at parse time to give a
> specific error.
>
> Malformed nested #declares are not caught at parse time, instead they can
> terminate inside following control structures, causing some objects not to
> render.
>
> Overlapping partially transparent objects can result in speckled shadows.
> Rays cast at coincident surfaces should return one of the two textures,
> and not "leak" untextured rays.
>
> Texture maps containing reflective textures may cause an exception and
> full crash, w/ optional dump.
>
> Partial transparency can cause blocky (32x32) blotches in transparent
> regions.
>
> Array.inc and subsurface.pov are in read only mode.
>
> In Vista (x64) the POV (x64) installer fails to ask for admin privleges,
> so the program files end up in
> C:\Users\%name%\AppData\Roaming\POV-Ray.
> After getting install privleges they should end up in
> C:\Program Files\POV-Ray
> The modifiable files end up in C:\Users\%name%\Documents\POV-Ray
> as intended. It's usable this way, just unexpected.

The ini files are replaced with every version change.
You loose any change that you may have made to them.

After any new version install, you have to go back and remake any customization,
including library paths, permited output path, image file format, display gamma
settings, image gamma, and such.

--
Alain
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than

Post a reply to this message

From: Edouard
Date: 6 Apr 2009 17:20:00
Message: <web.49da70fc1eef0732bda078810@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] anti-spamcomcastnet> wrote:
> beta32 bugs

trace() and inside() on julia objects still crash POV...

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 8 Apr 2009 15:19:00
Message: <49dcf8a4$1@news.povray.org>
> Is this when you select "install for all users"?

No, install for single user...

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 8 Apr 2009 16:05:23
Message: <49dd0383$1@news.povray.org>
>  Can you give an example of this?
>
>  The way povray parses SDL, especially things like nested declares, may
> not
> always be completely intuitive, but not necessarily buggy.

Sure, I realize it's been this way for a while...
essentially since it's ok to have other declares and
partial control structures inside of a declare there's no
check being done inside the declare until it is used.
In this example if Wierd contains the code up until
the pass_text object, then the parsing should fail
when the first #end is parsed, instead the #end is
matched to #while inside of the value of the Wierd #declare.

// misformed #declare
#declare Weird = #declare Aval = 1;

// other properly formed statements
#declare PigVal = pigment {rgb <0,0,0>};
#declare ObjVal = sphere {<0,0,0>,1};

#if (true=true)
#local c=0;
#while (c=0)

// this object ends the misformed #declare and doesn't render
object {pass_text}

// this object renders normally
object {fail_text}

#local c=1;