POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:33:44 EDT (-0400)
  POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Vaclav Cermak
Subject: Re: POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects
Date: 23 Mar 2009 04:39:00
Message: <49c74aa4@news.povray.org>
Fell free to use these scenes in any way.

Rad_test01 is something different and uses my own set of macros (you can
get them at http://povarch.sourceforge.net). This scene I used to
determine, how POV 3.7 works with trasparent objects and radiosity, you
don't need it for the problem with meshes. Rad_test03 uses fgrass.inc
include file made by Rune S. Johansen and can be obtained on his pages
(http://runevision.com). With this scene I tested, if the slowdown is
not related to complex textures (fgrass has several layers of textures
defined by function), I concluded, that not (you can look at .stat and
.time files there, .stat is statistics output from POV, .time is output
of UNIX time utility). Scene with fgrass texture was rendered faster
with 3.7 (but not two times faster, the speedup was much smaller ...).

I'll try rad_test04 with recursion_limit 1, as proposed by Carlo. C, and
with flat meshes, as proposed by you.

clipka wrote:
> Vaclav Cermak <dis### [at] disnelcom> wrote:
>>   Test scene with statistics files from MegaPOV and POV 3.7 beta are on
>>
>>   http://devel.disnel.com/pov3.7-test
>>
>>   it is rad_test04. Mesh objects are with unnecessary high detail to
>> demonstrate the problem. Rad_test 02 and 03 are without meshes and 3.7
>> beta is mush faster than MegaPOV with them, as expected.
>
> I took the liberty to add rad_test02 and rad_test04 to the portfolio of scenes I
> use for benchmarking radiosity code changes. The 01 and 03 scenes asked for
> additional include files which I did not find on the devel.disnel.com.
>
> So far, tests with various variations to the radiosity code indicate that the
> slowdown is in fact highly radiosity-related.
>
> I expect future versions of POV-Ray to still require more CPU time for the
> scenes than MegaPOV, but once again render faster in terms of "wall clock" time
> even on a DualCore.

Post a reply to this message

rad_test04_flat (flat mesh) and rad_test04_rl1 (rad recursion level 1)
are there with resulting files and statistics. Speed problem looks very
similar with them.

Vaclav

Post a reply to this message

> not related to complex textures (fgrass has several layers of textures
> defined by function), I concluded, that not (you can look at .stat and
> .time files there, .stat is statistics output from POV, .time is output
> of UNIX time utility). Scene with fgrass texture was rendered faster
> with 3.7 (but not two times faster, the speedup was much smaller ...).

I'm not surprised about the conclusions you drew from those stats, and as a
matter of fact I do see the same results here. If I wasn't the guy currently
twiddling around with radiosity to get it back to speed, I would probably come
to the same conclusions as you did.

> I'll try rad_test04 with recursion_limit 1, as proposed by Carlo. C, and
> with flat meshes, as proposed by you.

The flat mesh idea is more sort of an experiment to get a clearer picture why
exactly radiosity is slowing down. If you're just after reasonably fast renders
of your shot, recursion_limit 1 is currently what you want.

Post a reply to this message