POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Out of memory error with media in 3.7b31 (scene works in 3.6) Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:40:50 EDT (-0400)
  Out of memory error with media in 3.7b31 (scene works in 3.6) (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: CShake
Subject: Out of memory error with media in 3.7b31 (scene works in 3.6)
Date: 13 Mar 2009 14:28:28
Message: <49baa5cc$1@news.povray.org>
I've been getting 'Fatal error in renderer: Out of Memory' recently in a
few of my scenes (in 3.7b31, both in Windows and Linux)
The same files run fine in 3.6 (Official 3.6.1c and MegaPOV 1.2.1), so I
assume this is a bug.
I traced it down to a very simple scene file that produces the error,
trying to remove everything that doesn't apply (no normals, no
radiosity, no finishes, etc).

Example code that throws error:
#local rows=9;
#local cols=8;
#local di=1;
#local dj=1;
#local i=0;
#while (i<rows)
	#local j=0;
	#while (j<cols)
		light_source{<i*di,19,j*dj> color rgb 1 spotlight radius 10 falloff 20
point_at <i*di,0,j*dj>}
		#local j=j+1;
	#end
	#local i=i+1;
#end
box{<-6,0,-6>,<rows*di+6,20,cols*dj+6>
	hollow texture{pigment{rgb 0.025}}
}
box{<-7,-1,-7>,<rows*di+7,21,cols*dj+7>
	pigment{rgbt 1} hollow
	interior{media{
		absorption 1
//		emission 1
//		scattering{2,1}
		density{ rgb 0.001}}}
}
camera{location<-5,5,-5> look_at<rows/2*di,0,cols/2*dj>}

This fails with the out of memory error beta versions:
3.7.0.beta.31.msvc9-sse2.win32
3.7.0.beta.31 linux (built from latest available *nix source)

The scene renders fine with all variation of 3.6 (mac + win tested)

Decreasing the numbers of rows or columns will make it run, I just
played with it until it failed with the fewest number of light sources.
Increasing the distance between lights (di and dj) will make it run as
well, but if the number of rows or cols are then increased it will fail.
This happens with any size render, with or without preview.

Hope this provides enough info, and I hope I'm not bringing up something
that you've already heard too much about.

cshake

Post a reply to this message