POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? (Message 21 to 26 of 26)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place?
Date: 7 Jan 2009 15:19:32
Message: <49650e53@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> I guess it's the old question of whether you want a system for standard
> office or home use, or want to do something special with it.
>
> I think there still is no one-size-fits-all OS. Linux is trying to go
> there, but at the heart of it, "everyday use" is just one more "special
> thing" you can do with it, which keeps showing here and there.

http://graphjam.wordpress.com/files/2008/12/song-chart-memes-os.gif

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 7 Jan 2009 15:20:05
Message: <49650e74@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Personally, I would have put the single-person install under the "my
> documents" area rather than someplace "hidden", but it's certainly not
> something that Windows makes an obvious place for, yes.

It's not documents. It's application data.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 7 Jan 2009 15:22:40
Message: <49650f0f@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> While there are work-arounds for many of these issues (e.g. disabling the
> WOW64 file redirection is possible via an API call), I'd rather go with
> the flow than fight the system.

Which would involve sticking to MSI, no matter how that MSI is generated.
Which I think is a good thing.

After so many years (of dealing with 16-bit installshield crap to install
32-bit programs) Microsoft finally added an installer system to the
operating system. Let's use it...

Post a reply to this message