POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SSE2 or non-SSE2? beta 29 put SSE2 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:18 EDT (-0400)
  SSE2 or non-SSE2? beta 29 put SSE2 (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: SSE2 or non-SSE2? beta 29 put SSE2
Date: 4 Oct 2008 02:48:01
Message: <48e711a1$1@news.povray.org>
Instead of the beta 29 installing desktop/program shortcut/link to the usual
pvengine.exe I discovered it was actually the pvengine-sse2.exe. I almost
always use the sse2 anyway for its speed improvement so I was always making
my own shortcut to it for all the prior betas I was using.

That's how I noticed this install had already done it for me, so I wanted to
point that out here if it wasn't done so by design. Common sense tells me
the installer would use the non-SSE2, so I was wondering if this was the
intent or if somehow the installer knew I used SSE2 almost exclusively-- or
selects it from CPU info it finds.

My brain is fuzzing up about what I did to use the SSE2 after installing
beta 28 so I can't say what happened with that one, sorry. I almost never
use the regular pvengine.exe after being spoiled by the choice of having
SSE2 to render faster.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

Bob Hughes <omniverse charter net> wrote:
> That's how I noticed this install had already done it for me, so I wanted to
> point that out here if it wasn't done so by design. Common sense tells me
> the installer would use the non-SSE2, so I was wondering if this was the
> intent or if somehow the installer knew I used SSE2 almost exclusively-- or
> selects it from CPU info it finds.

  I don't know if the current beta installer chooses the executable based
on the platform, but it would certainly make sense if it did so. (In other
words, if this was just an oversight and it *always* chooses that sse2
executable because of an oversight, then I think it would be a good idea
to actually make it choose the executable based on the platform.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> That's how I noticed this install had already done it for me, so I wanted to
> point that out here if it wasn't done so by design. Common sense tells me
> the installer would use the non-SSE2, so I was wondering if this was the
> intent or if somehow the installer knew I used SSE2 almost exclusively-- or
> selects it from CPU info it finds.

Yes, it's by design - the installer asks for system info and if it finds
that SSE2 is available it will make the shortcuts point to the SSE2
executable. However both binaries are installed, as before.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message