POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : parametric loses bounding? Something I'm unsure of Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  parametric loses bounding? Something I'm unsure of (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: parametric loses bounding? Something I'm unsure of
Date: 6 May 2005 16:05:17
Message: <427bcdfd$1@news.povray.org>
Consider me a little lost concerning the new version beta. Been a month
since I gave the newsgroups a look and just discovered this beta testing was
going on.

I was trying the larger bitmaps renders for the Insert Menu and noticed
someplace in Shapes.pov getting bounding boxes removed; turned out to be the
three parametric objects. Just thought I would point this out if something
isn't right about that, whoever might know what's going on with that.

Also, while I'm here, I've seen that the isosurfaces (again, about menu
images) for waveforms is still problematic. I had tweaked on that some time
ago and thought it was rendering those okay, but now I realize it is still
rendering those only partially. In other words, the tops tend to be missing,
incomplete, looking broken. Hopefully you'll know what I'm talking about.

Bob Hughes

P.S.

I'm amazed at the changes taking place. Like the new way of showing stats
and display of renderings in chunks(?). Seems you're all making plenty of
progress while I sit on the sidelines watching from afar.

P.S.S.

Really appreciate that SSE2 that does benchmark.pov in half the time! Wow...
Now if I'd just get back to using POV-Ray. *sigh*

Post a reply to this message

Bob Hughes <bob### [at] charternet> wrote:
> I'm amazed at the changes taking place. Like the new way of showing stats
> and display of renderings in chunks(?).

  Rendering in squares is a way to ensure load balance between threads
and also to try to minimize the overhead caused by antialiasing (although
larger squares would do a better job at this; otoh they have a larger risk
of unbalanced load).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I was trying the larger bitmaps renders for the Insert Menu and noticed
> someplace in Shapes.pov getting bounding boxes removed; turned out to be the
> three parametric objects. Just thought I would point this out if something
> isn't right about that, whoever might know what's going on with that.

This is normal; it also happens with v3.6.

> Also, while I'm here, I've seen that the isosurfaces (again, about menu
> images) for waveforms is still problematic. I had tweaked on that some time
> ago and thought it was rendering those okay, but now I realize it is still
> rendering those only partially. In other words, the tops tend to be missing,
> incomplete, looking broken. Hopefully you'll know what I'm talking about.

Can you provide an example scene ?

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message