POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : parametric loses bounding? Something I'm unsure of : Re: waveforms degraded in menu bitmap Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: waveforms degraded in menu bitmap
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 7 May 2005 04:55:01
Message: <427c8265$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <nos### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote in message
> Bob Hughes wrote:
>> someplace in Shapes.pov getting bounding boxes removed; turned out to be
>> the
>> three parametric objects.
>
> This is normal; it also happens with v3.6.

Ahhh, okay, parametric isn't something I ever use. Just wanted to be sure
something wasn't going wrong with it anyway.

>> Also, while I'm here, I've seen that the isosurfaces (again, about menu
>> images) for waveforms is still problematic.
>
> Can you provide an example scene ?

The file  Insert Menu\attributes.pov  and then using:

  #declare Typ=1;     // waveform

 is the actual one I'm talking about. Rendering changes (for me here,
anyhow) for different resolutions, so you'll need to check a couple
different image sizes probably. It varies a great deal, from what I've seen.

Watch for pieces missing from the tops, jaggedness, and such. Should be
smooth representations of the five waveforms:
ramp_wave; triangle_wave; scallop_wave; sine_wave; poly_wave.

Note that the max_gradient numbers for each was the part tweaked to try and
prevent any reports in the message stream of possible changes for
improvement for the isosurface max_gradient, which it tends to do otherwise
as you well know. That reminds me, the Render Menu Bitmaps doesn't do the
message stream as it used to, guessing you realize that, but not sure you
do. In 3.6 is only reported progress by a count, whereas 3.7 is showing full
stats for each and every one.

Might be easier to use the following excerpt of SDL from that file.

// waveforms graphic
// command line suggested in the attributes.pov, so you can use that.
//cmd: -w120 -h48 +a0.1 +am2 -j +r3

#declare Cnt=0;

#while (Cnt < 5)

  #local fn_grad=
  function {
    pigment {
      gradient x
      color_map { [0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1] }
      #switch (Cnt)
        #case (1)
          triangle_wave
          #break
        #case (2)
          scallop_wave
          #break
        #case (3)
          sine_wave
          #break
        #case (4)
          poly_wave 2
          #break
        #else
          ramp_wave
      #end

      scale 1.2

    }
  }

  #declare Tex1=
  texture {
    pigment {
      function { fn_grad(x, y, z).gray }
      color_map { [0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1] }
    }
    finish { ambient 0.2 specular 0.4 }
  }

  object {
    isosurface {
      function { z-fn_grad(x, y, 0).gray*0.5 }

      max_gradient
      #switch (Cnt)
        #case (0) 1000 #break
        #case (1) 0.4 #break
        #case (2) 0.4 #break
        #case (3) 0.4 #break
        #case (4) 975 #break
      #end
      accuracy 0.001
      contained_by { box { <-0.8, -1.2, -1.2> <0.8, 1.2, 1.2> } }
    }

    texture { Tex1 }
    no_shadow
    translate <-4.0+Cnt*2, 0, 0>