POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray for Windows version 3.7 beta 1 available Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:50:50 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray for Windows version 3.7 beta 1 available (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: POV-Ray for Windows version 3.7 beta 1 available
Date: 16 Apr 2005 02:20:40
Message: <4260aeb8@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray for Windows version 3.7 beta 1 is now available from our beta page
(http://www.povray.org/beta/).

The EXE's available from the above page will expire on the 30th of April
2005. Note that the file contains two EXE's, one for Windows 32-bit and one
for Windows XP 64-bit edition or Windows Server 2003 64-bit edition (AMD64).

Use of this POV-Ray beta software is covered by the same license as that
which applies to version 3.6.1 (the current full release).

Note that to run the beta software you require the standard POV-Ray
installation files for your chosen platform. You can get these from the
download page if you do not already have them.

This version is a major change from version 3.6 in that the internal
structure of the renderer has been radically altered. You can expect there to
be many issues and incompatibilities that we will need to work out. We will
discuss the internal changes in more detail later if anyone is interested.

The primary advantage of version 3.7 over past versions is support for multi-
threaded rendering, which will be of most use to those users who currently
have SMP machines, or who intend either purchasing one or upgrading their
existing motherboard to a dual-core CPU such as the upcoming Athlons.
Depending on the scene, and excluding parsing/photon building time, a dual-
core system can increase rendering speed by almost 100%, and frequently in
the 70-90% range.

Here is a quick summary of some of the changes. Be sure to read this before
using the software.

Intentional changes for POV-Ray 3.7
-----------------------------------

- The version directive and command-line setting no longer provide
compatibility with most rendering bugs in versions prior to POV-Ray 3.5.
However, compatibility with the scene language is provided for scenes as old
as POV-Ray 1.0 just as in all previous versions of POV-Ray. Nevertheless, we
strongly recommend you update scenes at least to POV-Ray 3.5 syntax if you
plan to use them in future versions of POV-Ray.

- This version uses multi-threaded rendering by default. You can render in
only one thread by using the '/THREADS 1' switch in the Windows version.
Note that parsing and photon building will only use one thread. However
photon scenes will benefit from multiple threads once photon building has
completed.

The ability to render in more than one thread is primarily of use to those
users who have SMP machines (i.e. more than one CPU).

Known limitations of POV-Ray 3.7.beta.1
---------------------------------------

- Dispersion is currently not available as close investigation of the source
code showed some serious defects that can only be addressed by rewriting
this feature.  This will take time, so please be patient, we are currently
committed to continue this feature, but time is required to evaluate our new
design for this feature.  We will try to maintain SDL for this feature
exactly as it was in POV-Ray 3.6 and earlier.

- Anti-aliasing method 2 currently takes up to 20% more samples than it used
to take in POV-Ray 3.6 and earlier.  This will be corrected prior to final
release of POV-Ray 3.7.

- Light and vista buffers are not longer generated. There are currently
plans to replace the whole automatic bounding algorithm in POV-Ray 3.7 with
another algorithm that will yield generally better performance. Details
about this change will be made available once it makes its way into one of
the beta versions.

- Animation rendering is not yet supported. This feature is expected to be
back for one of the next few beta versions.

- Redirecting text message output to files is currently not available.  It
will be provided again, likely around the same time the mac and Unix version
make beta versions available.

- Mosaic preview is currently not available. We are currently investigating
how to best continue support for this feature. It will be back,possibly in
changed for in some later beta version.

- Some Windows features such as re-rendering the insert menu, running the
benchmark, and similar, do not work as expected. This will be fixed shortly.

- The Windows version is not compiled using the Intel compiler and will be
slower than 3.6.1 in many areas.

- Image output and input has been changed significantly and has not been
thoroughly tested.

- The SYS image input type (BMP files) does not currently work when specified
in height fields or image maps.

Known bugs of POV-Ray 3.7.beta.1
--------------------------------

- Photon rendering may occasionally not function as expected. This is a
known bug and we will address it as soon as possible.

- Radiosity rendering does not work. This is a known bug and we will
address it together with a modernization of some of the radiosity code.

- Some statistics and options are not displayed correctly.  Equally, some
error and warnings are current not issued, but they may very well cause
malfunctions.  These are known bugs and will address them as time and other
priorities permit.

- Preview image output is currently not gamma corrected. Your scenes may
appear darker or lighter compared to other versions of POV-Ray.  We will
address this problem soon.

Post a reply to this message

> POV-Ray for Windows version 3.7 beta 1 is now available from our beta p
age
> (http://www.povray.org/beta/).

I would be glad to beta-test that on my dua### [at] 125Ghz ...
Is any OSX version coming soon ?

Best regards,

Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
http://eureka.atari.org

Post a reply to this message