POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : --- Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  --- (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Beta 2 Install time estimates.
Date: 22 Mar 2004 14:45:14
Message: <405f424a$1@news.povray.org>
In article <405e4c57@news.povray.org> , Francois Labreque
<fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:

> While installing Beta 2, the progress bar says "Time remaining: 0 minutes 22
> seconds." and the time decreases as the installation goes along - as it
> should, but when it is building the include menu, it jumps back to "Time
> remaining: 70 minutes and 59 seconds" and starts oscillating wildly between 70
> minutes and 65 minutes remaining.  This last step took roughly 30 seconds on
> my machine... Not an hour.

I think the estimates come from the installer software itself and are not
under the control of the script defining what is installed.  It is hardly
different for any other application you install.  No installer I ever saw
claimed that the times shown are more than best-guess estimates.

    Thorsten

PS: Please do not post binaries to non-binary groups!

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

Program ended abnormally on 22/03/2004 14:45, Due to a catastrophic Thorsten
Froehlich error:
> In article <405e4c57@news.povray.org> , Francois Labreque
> <fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:
>

>>While installing Beta 2, the progress bar says "Time remaining: 0 minutes 22
>>seconds." and the time decreases as the installation goes along - as it
>>should, but when it is building the include menu, it jumps back to "Time
>>remaining: 70 minutes and 59 seconds" and starts oscillating wildly between 70
>>minutes and 65 minutes remaining.  This last step took roughly 30 seconds on
>>my machine... Not an hour.
>

> I think the estimates come from the installer software itself and are not
> under the control of the script defining what is installed.  It is hardly
> different for any other application you install.  No installer I ever saw
> claimed that the times shown are more than best-guess estimates.

If you do not have any control over it, I guess I'll have to live with it.  I
just found it strange that the estimates looked OK until the last bit.

> PS: Please do not post binaries to non-binary groups!

Yeah, yeah, I know.  I thought 12K would be small enough not to annoy people.  I
won't do it again.

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{orthographic location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a }