POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : --- : Re: Beta 2 Install time estimates. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 2 Install time estimates.
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 22 Mar 2004 15:58:06
Message: <405f535e$1@news.povray.org>
Program ended abnormally on 22/03/2004 14:45, Due to a catastrophic Thorsten
Froehlich error:
> In article <405e4c57@news.povray.org> , Francois Labreque
> <fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:
>

>>While installing Beta 2, the progress bar says "Time remaining: 0 minutes 22
>>seconds." and the time decreases as the installation goes along - as it
>>should, but when it is building the include menu, it jumps back to "Time
>>remaining: 70 minutes and 59 seconds" and starts oscillating wildly between 70
>>minutes and 65 minutes remaining.  This last step took roughly 30 seconds on
>>my machine... Not an hour.
>

> I think the estimates come from the installer software itself and are not
> under the control of the script defining what is installed.  It is hardly
> different for any other application you install.  No installer I ever saw
> claimed that the times shown are more than best-guess estimates.

If you do not have any control over it, I guess I'll have to live with it.  I
just found it strange that the estimates looked OK until the last bit.

> PS: Please do not post binaries to non-binary groups!

Yeah, yeah, I know.  I thought 12K would be small enough not to annoy people.  I
won't do it again.

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{orthographic location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a }