POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [Win2k] POV-Ray ignores Output_File_Name=directory Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  [Win2k] POV-Ray ignores Output_File_Name=directory (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Tony[B]
Subject: [Win2k] POV-Ray ignores Output_File_Name=directory
Date: 11 May 2002 13:16:32
Message: <3cdd51f0@news.povray.org>
Every time I install a new version of POV, I back up two files: povray.ini
and quickres.ini. Once it is installed, I overwrite the new ones. I haven't
had any problems with this so far. For some reason, now POV seems to be
ignoring the output directory I set in povray.ini and instead outputs to the
directory the *.pov file I'm rendering is in. Has something changed that I
should be aware of or is this a bug? Thanks in advance.

Post a reply to this message

> Every time I install a new version of POV, I back up two files: povray.ini
> and quickres.ini. Once it is installed, I overwrite the new ones. I haven't
> had any problems with this so far. For some reason, now POV seems to be
> ignoring the output directory I set in povray.ini and instead outputs to the
> directory the *.pov file I'm rendering is in. Has something changed that I
> should be aware of or is this a bug? Thanks in advance.

Nothing has changed in that part of the code for ages.  Maybe you set it
elsewhere?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

"Tony[B]" <ben### [at] catholicorg> wrote in message
> Every time I install a new version of POV, I back up two files: povray.ini
> and quickres.ini. Once it is installed, I overwrite the new ones. I
haven't
> had any problems with this so far. For some reason, now POV seems to be
> ignoring the output directory I set in povray.ini and instead outputs to
the
> directory the *.pov file I'm rendering is in. Has something changed that I
> should be aware of or is this a bug? Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you copied them to the right directory? ( \renderer )
Also, I would save and copy over pvengine.ini in the \ini directory.
permitted output and input paths are stored here if you have added to the
default ones. (pvtools.ini as well if you have modified it)

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> Nothing has changed in that part of the code for ages.  Maybe you set
> it elsewhere?

I'm pretty sure I haven't. And like I said, I've used this procedure
successfully many times before.

Post a reply to this message

"Tony[B]" <ben### [at] catholicorg> wrote in message
: For some reason, now POV seems to be ignoring the output directory I
: set in povray.ini and instead outputs to the directory the *.pov
: file I'm rendering is in. Has something changed that I should be
: aware of or is this a bug?

This has been since RC3. Martijn Veld reported it in
http://news.povray.org/3cd23c59$1@news.povray.org
and I can still confirm it in WinXp.

Ari-Matti

Post a reply to this message

> This has been since RC3. Martijn Veld reported it in
> http://news.povray.org/3cd23c59$1@news.povray.org
> and I can still confirm it in WinXp.

Oh. I skipped RC3. Well, at least I'm not the only one with the problem.

Post a reply to this message

> Every time I install a new version of POV, I back up two files: povray.ini
> and quickres.ini. Once it is installed, I overwrite the new ones. I haven't
> had any problems with this so far. For some reason, now POV seems to be
> ignoring the output directory I set in povray.ini and instead outputs to the
> directory the *.pov file I'm rendering is in. Has something changed that I
> should be aware of or is this a bug? Thanks in advance.

Try adding a CRLF to the end of the last INI line (I am guessing that this is
the line that assigns the output directory, correct ?)

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> Try adding a CRLF to the end of the last INI line (I am guessing that
> this is the line that assigns the output directory, correct ?)

That, indeed works. Thanks... Could you explain why it helps?

Post a reply to this message

> > Try adding a CRLF to the end of the last INI line (I am guessing that
> > this is the line that assigns the output directory, correct ?)
>
> That, indeed works. Thanks... Could you explain why it helps?

A change to the file input code in a previous beta caused it to ignore
unterminated lines at the end of a file. This has been corrected in RC5.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> A change to the file input code in a previous beta caused it to ignore
> unterminated lines at the end of a file. This has been corrected in
> RC5.

Wonderful! Thanks, Chris, everybody. :)