POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma question Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma question (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: John Coppens
Subject: Gamma question
Date: 23 Nov 2009 10:14:33
Message: <20091123121431.7c03a3e7.john@johncoppens.com>
Hello people.

I understand 3.7beta > 10 has now gamma-enabled by default, at 2.2 if I
understand correctly.

I have this scenario: A simple box, with an image_map projected from a
PNG image (which, I understand, defines it's proper gamma). I declared a
finish (ambient 1), and I don't use any light source (I wanted to have a
garanteed uniform lighting).

The rendered image is way too light. I can only return to normal results
if I disable gamma, by defining assumed_gamma 2.2).

What am I doing wrong here? Shouldn't the process be transparent in this
case?

John.

(This is 3.7beta34, compiled on linux)

Post a reply to this message

John Coppens <joh### [at] johncoppenscom> wrote:
> I have this scenario: A simple box, with an image_map projected from a
> PNG image (which, I understand, defines it's proper gamma). I declared a
> finish (ambient 1), and I don't use any light source (I wanted to have a
> garanteed uniform lighting).

> The rendered image is way too light.

  You have to specify the assumed gamma for the image used in the image_map.

  This feature has not yet been implemented. It will be implemented in a
future beta. (It may even be possible to specify a default assumed gamma
for all input images.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> John Coppens <joh### [at] johncoppenscom> wrote:
>> I have this scenario: A simple box, with an image_map projected from a
>> PNG image (which, I understand, defines it's proper gamma). I declared a
>> finish (ambient 1), and I don't use any light source (I wanted to have a
>> garanteed uniform lighting).
>
>> The rendered image is way too light.
>
>   You have to specify the assumed gamma for the image used in the image_map.
>
>   This feature has not yet been implemented. It will be implemented in a
> future beta. (It may even be possible to specify a default assumed gamma
> for all input images.)

Speaking of future beta, the current one has expired 7 weeks ago. Is
there any estimate for beta 35 release?

Alain

Post a reply to this message