POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma question : Gamma question Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma question
From: John Coppens
Date: 23 Nov 2009 10:14:33
Message: <20091123121431.7c03a3e7.john@johncoppens.com>
Hello people.

I understand 3.7beta > 10 has now gamma-enabled by default, at 2.2 if I
understand correctly.

I have this scenario: A simple box, with an image_map projected from a
PNG image (which, I understand, defines it's proper gamma). I declared a
finish (ambient 1), and I don't use any light source (I wanted to have a
garanteed uniform lighting).

The rendered image is way too light. I can only return to normal results
if I disable gamma, by defining assumed_gamma 2.2).

What am I doing wrong here? Shouldn't the process be transparent in this
case?

John.

(This is 3.7beta34, compiled on linux)