POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 64/32 bit POV-Ray 3.7 smp beta 31 R2 Unofficial for Macintosh Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:07:17 EDT (-0400)
  64/32 bit POV-Ray 3.7 smp beta 31 R2 Unofficial for Macintosh (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Yvo Smellenbergh
Subject: 64/32 bit POV-Ray 3.7 smp beta 31 R2 Unofficial for Macintosh
Date: 16 Mar 2009 14:35:08
Message: <1iworgo.1vt1jz2k6xw1kN%yvo.s@cancel_This_gmx.net>
With permission of the POV-Ray Team, a 64/32 bit POV-Ray 3.7 smp
Unofficial beta 31 r2 for Macintosh is available at:

Read carefully which version you should download:

1) 64 bit universal
------------------------
For any Intel-based Macintosh and PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.5 or later,
download the 64 bit version at:
http://megapov.inetart.net//beta/pv37_64_b31_r2.zip

This version is a universal binary containing a 32- and a 64 bit version
for any Intel-base Macintosh and a 64 bit version for PPC G5.
It will not run on systems prior to Mac OS 10.5.
On Intel-based Macintosh computers this version runs up to 20% faster.
On PPC G5 Macintosh computers it runs a bit slower but you can access
more than 4Gb of memory.

2) 32 bit universal (standard version)
--------------------------------------
For any Intel-based Macintosh and PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.4 or later
you can download the standard 32 bit version at:
http://megapov.inetart.net//beta/pv37b31_r2.zip

This version is a universal binary containing a 32 bit version for any
Intel-based Macintosh and a 32 bit for PPC G5.
It will not run on systems prior to Mac OS 10.4.

New stuff for the unofficial GUI in this version:
- 64bit
- fixed stack overflow
- fixed various bugs in the editor
- fixed a bug where radiosity preview would crash

Feel free to send some feedback directly or via these groups.

usual but important stuff:
---------------------------------
The application will expire on the 1st of April 2009 (and can be
re-enabled)

Please note that this is an unofficial compile so that Macintosh users
can participate in beta testing.
The UI is the same as MacMegaPOV but the renderer is POV-Ray 3.7 without
any modification.
The UI does not reflect in any way how the final official version for
Macintosh is going to be.

You can report core bugs to the POV-Ray-Team but send all UI related
bugs to yvo(DOT)s(AT)gmx.net

Before sending bug reports, please read about this POV-Ray 3.7 release
and known bugs at:
http://www.povray.org/beta/
and make sure the bug isn't reported at:
http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/

Please take a few moments to read the "Readme xx" files included in the
package before using the application!

Keep in mind that this is beta software!

Yvo
-----------------------------------
MegaPOV at:  http://megapov.inetart.net
MacMegaPOV at:  http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh
E-mail: yvo(DOT)s(AT)gmx.net

Post a reply to this message

> With permission of the POV-Ray Team, a 64/32 bit POV-Ray 3.7 smp
> Unofficial beta 31 r2 for Macintosh is available at:
>
> Read carefully which version you should download:
>
> 1) 64 bit universal
> ------------------------
> For any Intel-based Macintosh and PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.5 or later,
> download the 64 bit version at:
> http://megapov.inetart.net//beta/pv37_64_b31_r2.zip
>
> This version is a universal binary containing a 32- and a 64 bit version
> for any Intel-base Macintosh and a 64 bit version for PPC G5.
> It will not run on systems prior to Mac OS 10.5.
> On Intel-based Macintosh computers this version runs up to 20% faster.
> On PPC G5 Macintosh computers it runs a bit slower but you can access
> more than 4Gb of memory.
>
> 2) 32 bit universal (standard version)
> --------------------------------------
> For any Intel-based Macintosh and PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.4 or later
> you can download the standard 32 bit version at:
> http://megapov.inetart.net//beta/pv37b31_r2.zip
>
> This version is a universal binary containing a 32 bit version for any
> Intel-based Macintosh and a 32 bit for PPC G5.
> It will not run on systems prior to Mac OS 10.4.
>
> New stuff for the unofficial GUI in this version:
> - 64bit
> - fixed stack overflow
> - fixed various bugs in the editor
> - fixed a bug where radiosity preview would crash
>
> Feel free to send some feedback directly or via these groups.
>

> usual but important stuff:
> ---------------------------------
> The application will expire on the 1st of April 2009 (and can be
> re-enabled)
>
> Please note that this is an unofficial compile so that Macintosh users
> can participate in beta testing.
> The UI is the same as MacMegaPOV but the renderer is POV-Ray 3.7 without
> any modification.
> The UI does not reflect in any way how the final official version for
> Macintosh is going to be.
>
> You can report core bugs to the POV-Ray-Team but send all UI related
> bugs to yvo(DOT)s(AT)gmx.net
>
> Before sending bug reports, please read about this POV-Ray 3.7 release
> and known bugs at:
> http://www.povray.org/beta/
> and make sure the bug isn't reported at:
> http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/
>
> Please take a few moments to read the "Readme xx" files included in the
> package before using the application!
>
> Keep in mind that this is beta software!
>
> Yvo
> -----------------------------------
> MegaPOV at:  http://megapov.inetart.net
> MacMegaPOV at:  http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh
> E-mail: yvo(DOT)s(AT)gmx.net

Thanks for your work!

Just for clarification: You state that the only PPC chips that are
supported are G5 (I assume since G4 chips didn't have multicore or
64bit), but will a G4-based system running 10.5 work? I realize that the
biggest reason for some people to use 3.7 is multicore support, but I
have updated some of my code to 3.7-specific functions (i.e. comparing
strings in #if) and would like to know if this works.

If not, no big deal, I've already got the beta working on win32 and
linux, and those are my faster computers anyway.

cshake

Post a reply to this message