POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 64/32 bit POV-Ray 3.7 smp beta 31 R2 Unofficial for Macintosh : Re: 64/32 bit POV-Ray 3.7 smp beta 31 R2 Unofficial for Macintosh Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:38:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64/32 bit POV-Ray 3.7 smp beta 31 R2 Unofficial for Macintosh
From: Yvo Smellenbergh
Date: 18 Mar 2009 17:42:39
Message: <1iwshod.17yv8v18x4mnyN%yvo.s@cancel_This_gmx.net>
CShake <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Just for clarification: You state that the only PPC chips that are
> supported are G5 (I assume since G4 chips didn't have multicore or
> 64bit), but will a G4-based system running 10.5 work? I realize that the

No, it will not work.
Not in the 64 bit version because PPC is compiled for G5's and 64 bit.
Also not in the 32 bit version because it is compiled for G5's and will
crash on G4 or G3 chips.

> biggest reason for some people to use 3.7 is multicore support, but I
> have updated some of my code to 3.7-specific functions (i.e. comparing
> strings in #if) and would like to know if this works.
I guess I can add a 32 bit PPC version for G4 and up in the 64 bit
version.
This might look strange but because all G5's are 64 bit I didn't add a
32 bit PPC version and therefore there is room for a 32 bit version that
supports G4 chips without the optimization for G5's.
If you are interested I will try to do this, in that case contact me
directly by e-mail.

Yvo

--
MegaPOV at:  http://megapov.inetart.net