POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : **** Help Rotating An Object **** Server Time
2 May 2024 12:03:44 EDT (-0400)
  **** Help Rotating An Object **** (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: benjy
Subject: **** Help Rotating An Object ****
Date: 9 Nov 2007 12:15:00
Message: <web.47349529a313fa8343e9d3860@news.povray.org>
Hey all,

Well basically I have created a scene with an object (like a fan) in it, but
what I am trying to do is actually rotate the object around quite quickly so it
looks like its creating a gust of wind. All i need to know is how to do the
rotating business?? I mean....I have tried rotating it with the clock variable
in the x, or the y, or the z axis...but it just moves the head of the object
around the screen...instead of what i want (making it rotate around and around
on the spot)!

Does anyone have any ideas!?!?

Regards,

Post a reply to this message

> Well basically I have created a scene with an object (like a fan) in it, but
> what I am trying to do is actually rotate the object around quite quickly so it
> looks like its creating a gust of wind. All i need to know is how to do the
> rotating business?? I mean....I have tried rotating it with the clock variable
> in the x, or the y, or the z axis...but it just moves the head of the object
> around the screen...instead of what i want (making it rotate around and around
> on the spot)!

Rotations are around the origin of the scene. POV-Ray has no idea what
the "center of the object" is. You need to rotate the object before
moving it. Keep it centered at the origin, rotate it, *then* move it to
the place you want it on the scene.

Post a reply to this message

> Well basically I have created a scene with an object (like a fan) in it, but
> what I am trying to do is actually rotate the object around quite quickly so it
> looks like its creating a gust of wind. All i need to know is how to do the
> rotating business?? I mean....I have tried rotating it with the clock variable
> in the x, or the y, or the z axis...but it just moves the head of the object
> around the screen...instead of what i want (making it rotate around and around
> on the spot)!
>
> Does anyone have any ideas!?!?
>
> Regards,

Translate the fan to the center of the scene, rotate it there, and then
translate it back.If it's supposed to rotate on the X axis, use rotate
x*clock*10. If it's the Z axis you need to rotate it around, use rotate
z*clock*10. If it's too slow (I doubt it will be too slow, but just in case)
change 10 to 20 or 50, maybe even 100.